IG Door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had 2 composite doors fitted in our new build March 2022. The rear door failed earlier this year due to water getting in at the bottom causing it to swell. that door was replaced under warranty.

The front door has now failed in the same way. The fitters came out and found that the top hinge had also failed and that there were cracks in two of the glazing beads.

I have had an email this afternoon say that this was not covered under their warranty and that we would have to pay for a replacement. I believe that the doors are manufactured by IG but I'm not sure.

Good afternoon,

Apologies it has taken a while for us to get back to you following our recent service appointment.

Our manufacture has taken a while to get back to us, we have requested a replacement cassette under warranty but unfortunately, they are saying that this type of damage is not covered, we did challenge this with them.

Please confirm if you wish us to obtain a quotation from them for the part?

Again, my apologies that this has taken a while.

Are the hinges in the photo used by IG?

Attachments

• 20230518_174636.jpg
    20230518_174636.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230518_174645.jpg
    20230518_174645.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
The hinge should last the life of the door.

If the damage was not deliberate or misuse, then it should be covered if not by the manufacturer/supplier then by the fitters under normal consumer 'fitness' legislation.

It's not for the customer to be hunting around for a replacement - in fact that will potentially invalidate any warranty on the door.

I notice it is a dark colour, does it get a lot of sun? I have seen some manufacturers don't recommended dark colours if they face the sun.

Doesn't look like an IG door hinge, I know because it's an ERA challenger hinge.

The door has clearly been adjusted up on the hinge pin from underneath with an allen key hence the gap

Sponsored Links
I suggest this is your last option, but if you paid by credit card you can make a claim against the installer. Whilst they may equally be in a tight spot, this is certainly not your fault and probably an issue with the quality of the hinge or how it was installed. Both of these are the result of your installer.

Been away for a few days so will post some photos tomorrow evening.
The installers have said they will attend on the 28th to replace some parts but say what they will be.

The door is grey.

I found an IG production sticker on the top of the cassette. The hinge was adjusted by the service engineer.

Paid via BT.

Agree with Crank
. That doesn't look like IG to me either , completely wrong hinge for their doors BUT it might be that it comes from trade side of IG not retail.side of IG , Truedor , which was recently sold to Horman

You will find that Insatllers and manufacturers only cover hinges for a year due to the moving parts... now personally if its on obvious manufacturing defect, as a responsible company , we would exchange it FOC

Ser gut turned up on Thursday as planned. He had a glazing bead frame and 1 replacement hinge but couldn't understand why as he had said a replacement door was needed.

He struggle to fit the hinge as the middle hinge had also failed. He then struggle with the glazing frame as most of the clips had been damaged at first fix. He thought the fitters had used an impact driver them.

He went off saying it needed a new door. Later in that afternoon the company rang to say that they had ordered a new door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back