ignition lock-out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i have a wickes Halstead lw/50 ci boiler About 5 years old.As soon as i turn it on it goes through the ignition series ,the fan works the igniter clicks the pump runs
then it switches to ignition lockout. I have gone through the fault finding procedure but i cannot determine if the gas valve is opening. Is there a test i can do for this ?
thanks for reading and any reply
mark.

Sponsored Links
You can only test for voltage at the valve, there isn`t a test that I am aware of that will check the solenoid.I may be wrong for a change..

Is there a gas supply reaching the boiler?. You could check the solenoids resistance but I'm not sure what it is off the top of my head, although if you have voltage to the valve and it won't open pretty good chance it's shot.

Hi bamber gaspipe,
thanks for reply,i have tested voltage to gas valve,but i am still not sure that it is opening and letting gas into the boiler.There is defineatly gas at the inlet presure test screw,but i have no way of testing the outlet presure test port. Is there any other way to determine if the valve has infact opened?
Thanks
Mark.

Sponsored Links
mark333 said:
Hi bamber gaspipe,
thanks for reply,i have tested voltage to gas valve,but i am still not sure that it is opening and letting gas into the boiler.There is defineatly gas at the inlet presure test screw,but i have no way of testing the outlet presure test port. Is there any other way to determine if the valve has infact opened?
Thanks
Mark.

out of interest how are you telling that got gas at the inlet test point?

(if your an RGI please ignore this)

corgiman said:
mark333 said:
Hi bamber gaspipe,
Thanks
Mark.

out of interest how are you telling that got gas at the inlet test point?

(if your an RGI please ignore this)

Im ignoring it mate :!: :!: :!:

If you are getting voltage to your 1st stage solenoid you should get low rate ignition, flame sensing and then full gas on the main solenoid. Are you sure a spark is getting to the electrode?, it is usually the ignition pcb which faults on these.

With ollski on this one. It sounds like the ignition pcb (one on gas valve) I have had to change a few with faults like yours. Very simple job ;)

Hi thanks for comments got me thinking how to check if gas valve was opening,so i took it off so i could work on it on bench,I intended to put the power through each solinoid manually,
Any way when i tested their resistance (as you guys suggested) one of them was open,so it must be damaged.
I can remove the solinoid off the valve but i cannot open it to repair the fault. Is it possible to replace it or must it be a new valve?

Thanks mark

overheat themostat by chance needs resetting , lol

now you ripped the boiler apart ,lol

Halstead..... fav for it

kevplumb
aces an before

well when the case is off

left side underneath the 22mil heating pipe that runs up ...just behind
lil nob you push up ..lol

kev .. Ok ;)

maybe FAULT FIND ANY boilers ...next questions ?

Argi , help me now ... lol lol..lol..lol.....lol ;)

correct answer is it ain't resettable :rolleyes:

PhotoViewer.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back