Ignition System Problems Renault Megane 51 Reg 1.6L Petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice on this before I take things any further (by possibly buying unnecessary things)

Last week my key started playing up and by that I mean, on a normal car you start the engine but then if you try to turn the key further whilst its already running you get what I would call the high-pitch choking noise.

Well when turning the key to start my engine, instead of stopping when engine started, it would seem to go fully round to the choking noise (and the radio/clock etc.. would not come on). I noticed that if I turned the key back slightly the choking noise would stop and all electrics would come back on. Unfortunately I borrowed the car to a friend and forgot to mention this so I believe it has been driven around for some time with it 'choking'.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up the following day it just wouldn't start. Key would turn but wouldn't seem to 'click' round properly. Radio/clock etc.. comes on fine but it makes no attempt to even start the engine (as if id just turned it round enough for the electrics).

With the very little knowledge that I have, I assume I would just need a new ignition barrel (hoping to get one complete with all wiring ready to just plug in) but I have 2 questions - 1. Does it sound like this is all that needs replacing and 2. I have removed the copper coil key-reader - if I get a new ignition barrel with a new set of keys, will I need a new keyreader (just not sure what this does and if it is unique to the key).

Sorry for the long story people but hope someone can shine some light on this please?!

Thanks a lot, John

Sponsored Links
replacing the barrel will be ok, the existing immobiliser ring can be kept too but the new keys will not start the car unless you get them reprogrammed(can get expensive)
you could try to use the metal part of your new keys with the plastic body of your old ones if this is possible as the immobiliser chip is usually in the plastic body,it may even pick up the old key if you leave it on your set(never tried this)

Hi and thanks for your reply. Its sorted now so hopefully this will help other people..

I got a new barrel (obviously with a new key) and installed. I was told by scrapyard that I would need to transfer the top plastic body (with the central locking button) from my old key and put on top of new key which I did but still nothing. When I turned the key, the red immobiliser light on the dash would start to flash very quickly which, from reading on forums, indicated that there was a problem with the key (rather than the car) and this was correct. Crucially what I wasn't told (or possibly told but didn't listen properly) was that the black chip which resides in the lower half of the key (where the actual key is) is the important bit so I ended up with the lower half of the new key attached to the top half of my old key along with the small black chip from my old key.

I did try another immobiliser ring but wasn't necessary but worth noting that the black chip is unique to each immobiliser ring.

After this I found out my starter motor was also f*cked but that was an easy fix.

Hope that helps someone and thanks ch427 for your reply (seems we were almost there!)

Another nugget of information (purely because I searched all over the net and found absolutely nothing is that the immobiliser fuses under the dashboard are named 'MEMO INJECT' and 'ALIM UCH'.

John

Sponsored Links
i have changed immobiliser rings as we call them in the past on peugeots and they are not paired to the keys so renaults may be different.

Back