Im having my meter moved, & I need it reconnected to the

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm getting my Elecky meter moved to the outside of my house on friday, just the other side of the wall from where it is now.

And as you all probably know the electric company wont officially reconnect the supply, I'm supposed to get in another electrician to do it.

However the guy from the company that is doing the move did his site visit the other day and when asked about this he said that if I ask the workers who are moving the meter very nicley :LOL: (back hander), they might reconnect the meter to my consumer unit.

So in preperation for this, what kind of cable do I need to go out and buy before friday? I notice the current meter has two thick cables conecting it to the CU, what are they? what do I look for down my local wickes?

Sponsored Links
You want double insulated meter tails...

25mm² brown
25mm² blue

Also, unless you are going to be able to replace the tails while the guys are moving the meter you will want to have an isolator set up with the new tails ready for connection to the meter...

2-way enclosure
main switch

Connect your new tails to the feed side of the isolator and have them ready for DNO guys when they move the meter. They will connect the new tails to the meter and when they are gone you can connect new tails between the isolator and your consumer unit.

How much is the move going to cost you?

I was quoted best part of a grand by my local supplier, just to move it from one side of the wall to the other, but they insisted on renewing all the cable from the street to the house, which would have involved me digging a 50ft long trench myself for them to lay it.

Needless to say, I told them to poke it and they'll have to read the meter at my convenience.

Sponsored Links
It's costing me around £475 to get it from one side of the wall to the other.

Im doing the digging myself, about a meter square.

Its costing around a grand in total to get both the gas & elecy moved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back