I'm not a gardener and need some advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved to a new address and in the front, instead of grass and earth, it's got pebbles like some beaches. Now that should be ideal for someone like me who has lived in a flat most of his life but, their are quite a few weeds and grass growing out of it in patches here and there. It doesn't look very nice and with spring on us now, it's getting rapidly worse. I tried to pull some of it up but couldn't believe how strongly it was rooted in the ground. It just snapped off, leaving the root to regrow.
Their must be some green fingered diy'ers out there who can advise me of a product I can buy that will kill the weed/grass, root 'n' all, and maybe something I can treat/spray the area with to prevent anything else sprouting up.
I would ask you to take into account that I am on a tight budget and would prefer to avoid expensive weed killers etc.
I would be very greatful if anyone can put me on the right track, especially if they have had the same problem and managed to cure it . Thanks !

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the pebbles were laid without a weed-control-fabric underneath. (Sometimes called Landscape Fabric)

Long term solution is to remove the pebbles and relay them properly.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01.htm

But temporarily, you have two choices, dig them out by hand or use a weedkiller. Either way it's an annual chore.

glyphosate is the generic weedkiller, roundup its branded counterpart.
Spray it, it kills pretty much anything a month later.

But its not a long term solution,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back