I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

Sponsored Links
My apologies!

Above, I meant the sump plug washer was shot. Once the plug was tightened in, I applied silicon.

If the plug was fine as you say, why was it tight to screw back in?

The pan I linked to in a one piece casting so you'd have to see what is bolted onto it and what parts need to be removed to take the sump off.

I think the plug was fine but as I say it is the actual sump I am worried about , if it was just the plug I wouldn't do a thread on it I'd just buy a replacement plug.
Silicone around the plug seems very bodged to me and not permanent and too risky to consider but I am happy it worked out for you.

If it came ot the worst nd it needed a new sump I'd buy brand new , its quite a job apparently

Sponsored Links
you can buy a simple oil suction pump that works through dipstick. used many times . look at motor factory shops loads about.

hey

My car is a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti 120 bhp which is at 198,000 on the clock.

>>Snip<< would a different size sump plug be a good idea ?

thanks

Helicoil - find a motor engineers they should be able to do the job.

That what I had done when I stripped the threads on a Mini engine/gearbox assembly.

Google Helicoil for more info.

Silicone around the plug seems very bodged to me and not permanent
Well, just go ahead and change the oil and if it does strip the thread, use the above method as a temporary measure while you look for another sump.

Buy a sump plug repair kit. It includes a tap and an oversize sump plug so that you can retap the sump and then fit the oversize plug that comes with the kit. Kits cost around £20.

Buy a sump plug repair kit. It includes a tap and an oversize sump plug so that you can retap the sump and then fit the oversize plug that comes with the kit. Kits cost around £20.

Interesting!

Presumably any swarf from the thread cutting that gets up into the sump will fall and rest on the bottom out of the way.

Whack a load of grease onto the tap. It'll catch the minimal amount of swarf you get from retapping.

Well, just go ahead and change the oil and if it does strip the thread, use the above method as a temporary measure while you look for another sump.

Hello
I will be trying an oil change and hoping I don't come across any problems such as stripped threads. If however I do have thread problems with it I will keep in mind what you said about using the silicone until I figure out what next to do with it .
Does the silicone go only on the outside of it and what silicone did you use ??

What are your opinions on using big sump bolts etc ?

If it comes to the worst is replacing a sump possibly without too much trouble for a reasonable skilled diyer ?

thanks

Hi

Are these the kits on ebay that comes with about 6 different sizes? Do they need to be tapped in or are they simply screwed in as a normal sump plug would be ? thanks

Helicoil - find a motor engineers they should be able to do the job.

That what I had done when I stripped the threads on a Mini engine/gearbox assembly.

Google Helicoil for more info.

hi
can this be done easy enough while the sump is still on the car without any removal of it ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Back