Imersion Heater Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Dual thermostat Imersion Heater about 6 years old. We moved in to the property about 2 months ago and the hot water has never worked.

There is a mains switch outside the hot water copboard which is always on and there is another switch inside the cupboard which was off.

So i switched the inside switch on the the tank boiled over, i've tired turning up the thermostats up and nothing happens.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
You say "the tank boiled over." Can you describe this more fully? Where the boiling water came out?

Quite likely the thermostat has failed and jammed "on". This is a common fault. The thermostat is a replaceable part (buy the same length) and does not require draining down as it sits in a waterproof tube. It is however essential to turn off power to the circuit and check that it is dead before starting work.

If you are familiar with electrical work you could do it yourself; otherwise a plumber or an electrician can do it.

If the whole immersion heater ever goes faulty, then you will need plumbing skills as it involves unscrewing the old one from the top of the clinder.

When i mean boiled over. There is a black plastic tank above the clinder, the black tank is filled with the cold water that fills in to the cylinder. So when it boiled over it was bubbling back up in to the black tank.

Also, would you have any ideas on why there would be two switches? and whats the purpose of dual thermostats?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think you will probablely find it's a dual element. If you only want small amount of hot water then element 1 and if large amount required then elements 1 & 2.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back