immersion element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with an immersion heater at present.The off peak supply heats up the water ok,but the booster is only heating the water luke warm.I'm thinking the thermostat is knackered and just needs replacing.Would the element itself have broken to cause this?Any ideas what to look for as I've never had to deal with this before!
Cheers for any help

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter to check whether the thermostat is letting current through? Also to test the resistance of the immersion heater itself?

But first... Have you tried setting the thermostat? Turn off the power and unscrew the round lid of the immersion. Check the thermostat dial is in the right place (approx 12 o'clock, or 60 degreesish).

Yeah stat seems fine and in correct position.I've just disconnected the cables and done a resistance test across live and neutral and it's reading 0.00.I'm just confused how the water is luke warm and the econ 7 hasn't been on at all!
Cheers for your help mate

Sponsored Links
Ok. Sounds like the thermostat is closing ok, just remains to be seen at what temperature. Check the resistance of the heater. It should be about 20 Ohms (+ or -, depending on the W of the heater).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back