Immersion Heater and Economy 7 Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About 5 months ago the overflow pipe in our immersion heater was leaking. We got it replaced by one of the landlord's DIY team. From that day the water supply has been indifferent. The water heats up from 12 midnight til 6am. But the water seems to stay hot for about 1minute and then it turns luke warm and then cold.

An electrician has been round to replace the thermostat on the bottom tank. He has done this several times, sometime putting the temperature up to 75 degrees. However this has not solved the problem. The tank gets hot, very hot. Sometimes the room will steam up and water vapour appears on the walls which im sure isnt a healthy thing. But the water from the tap does not stay hot for very long.

After endless forum and internet searching I am guessing the new overflow pipe is what is causing the obstruction. I have added a photo of the new overflow pipe and how it is connected. Can anybody see any obvious faults with this ?

Edit: The old overflow pipe used to point upwards out of the hole in the boiler and then travel around the back at a sloping angle.

Thanks,

Marc

Sponsored Links
This is a landlord's problem. You are legally entitled to a hot water supply. I'd be surprised if your installation is legal with that plastic "overflow". It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Is there a label on the tank?

Thanks for the reply,

The only labels I can see are the ones on the thermostat covers. The boiler itself has been stuffed in a tiny cupboard in the spare room so its difficult to see anything but the front of the thing. Do you think it is best to get a qualified plumber to give this dinosaur the once over ?

I think it's best to dump it with your landlord, and if they don't help, trading standards.

Sponsored Links
This is a landlord's problem. You are legally entitled to a hot water supply. I'd be surprised if your installation is legal with that plastic "overflow". It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Is there a label on the tank?
I agree with oilman. Complain to the landlord, again. This looks like a sealed system, and the overflow leaking may have been a pressure relief valve.

Surely the blending valve is at fault?

Id also turn the stat down from 75 to about 60.

I'd agree the blending valve is likely to be at fault, may only need adjusting, but I would leave stat on 75, these tanks need to be very hot to supply a decent amount of hot water to the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back