Immersion Heater Circuit Q.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished rewiring the (non-kitchen) ring main in the house we purchased which was a bit of a state. One of the casualties is the immersion heater and the central heating control panel which were both on the ring main but which I have taken off in anticipation of putting them on their own circuit. I realise that the immersion heater should be on a separate circuit, but how big a transgression would it be to include the control panel?

My ideal plan would be a dual mouting box with a 20A double pole isolation switch for the immersion and [something else] for the control panel. The circuit will be run in 2.5mm T&E with a 16A MCB.

Both the immersion heater and the control planel are in our bedroom cupboard.

Any advice, including slapdowns, appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Nothing at all wrong with running normal domestic central heating controls, pump and boiler via a FCU spur on a ring final -common practice. Load should be pretty low - 3A fuse should be enough.

there is a slight advantage in putting the boiler on its own circuit too..

this is if you have all your sockets on an RCD, boilers and their pumps often have slight leaks that can cause an RCD to trip, which is a nuisance.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any reason not share a circuit between an immersion heater and central heating controls provided the circuit is adequately rated to take the full load of both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back