Immersion heater faulty; electric or plumbing to blame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My immersion heater has recently been temperamental giving both hot and cold water when turned on.

I originally thought the problem was the immersion heater element given that the switched fuse it ran from was ok. I 'knew' this because the pump to the power shower is also wired into this fused box and worked fine.

So I diagnosed the problem as the element itself. I have bought a new one and installed it no problems (although it was a nightmare removing the old one - as many other posters have experienced).

For the first day or so I had hot water on demand but now it is temperamental again. Note that when the central heating is turned on we get hot water no problems.

So is it the electrics even though my pump works just fine from the fuse box?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
why are you using your immersion heater when you have a central heating boiler?

I Hope the shower pump supply has been fused down and is not protected via the 20A Immersion supply mcb.

The shower pump shouldnt be there full stop.
Immersion needs a dedicated 16/20amp radial from CU.

Sponsored Links
My immersion heater has recently been temperamental giving both hot and cold water when turned on.
You mean both hot and cold water comes out of the taps?

presumably not at the same time?

or do you mean the immersion heater sometimes fails to heat the water in the cylinder?

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not fully conversant with some of the terminology used (MCB, CU - consumer unit?)but I get the jist regards how the pump is wired in. For the record the shower pump is plugged (3 amp plug) into a socket which is in turn wired into the fused box.

I am going to disconnect the pump and see if that alters anything.

Unfortunately my boiler (Ideal Classic SE18FF) does not have the capability to heat water alone so in the summer months I have to use the immersion. In the winter its the opposite. The need for central heating gives us hot water without need to swithc the immersion on.

Any other thoughts re this?

Cheers

My Ideal Classic can heat any combination of CH and HW !

I recommend that you get a compentent engineer to fit full controls to your system before the end of the summer. We used to charge £240 if that helps as a guide.

You are paying about 2-3 time what you need to by heating water with electricity.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back