Immersion Heater Nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help, this is driving me round the bend. I have a hot water cylinder (separate from the heating, which is warm air from a separate furnace) with a 27" Immersion heater that goes in the top of the cylinder. It's connected on it's own from the consumer unit, via an electronic timer.

For the last 8 years, it's all worked fine - except being in a hard water area, the thermostats and/or elements tend to need replacing every 2-3 years. On Sunday night, the water was boiling so obviously the thermostat had gone.

Decided to replace the element as well, because it's been in for 3 or 4 years and from past experience due to peg out. I thought if I was getting a plumber in it would be better to replace both at the same time.

So, plumber came on Monday and replaced the immersion heater (and thermostat). The new heater is one that has a 'safety cut out' that's supposed to trip if the thermostat fails and the water gets too hot. Sounds like a good idea in theory.

Unfortunately, after partially heating the water, the cut out trips and the immersion heater stops working. After calling the plumber for advice, I reset the heater and it worked again for a short while then cut out.

I called the plumber back and he came back on Tuesday and fitted a new thermostat. Unfortunately, a short while after he left, the heater cut out again.

So, he's come back yesterday (Thursday) and replaced the heater element itself. Guess what - the replacement one is doing exactly the same thing.

What I don't understand is this: none of the wiring, timer or anything has changed and it all worked fine before changing the element. But - I guess it can't be the element or thermostat at fault since they've both now been changed (2nd new element and 3rd thermostat).

So can anyone shed any light on what might be going on??

Sponsored Links
They all do it.
There is a solution,but not one that should be used.
Get a cylinder with the element at the bottom.

They all do it.

That can't be right, surely?? Does that mean everyone in the country that has a top mounted immersion bought since 2004 is having to push the reset button every time they want hot water?? I just can't believe that.

Sponsored Links
don't fit cheap ones.

Ah, is that maybe the problem?? It's a Thermtec Incoloy one, HS type which has its 'safety cut out' mounted on the brass bit, separate from the thermostat.

Would it be better to replace with a different brand or type? Could you recommend one??

how hot is the water when it trips?

Water doesn't seem any hotter than normal - thermostat is set to 63 deg. and it seems about that... doesn't heat the whole tank though before it cuts out.

The brass 'boss' part of the immersion does get very hot though.

i prefer the ones with the reset in the thermostat not on the brass boss.

i prefer the ones with the reset in the thermostat not on the brass boss.

That would seem much more sensible, since it's actually taking the temperature of the water (=the point of the exercise) rather than the brass... where can I get one like that?? The one we've got is what the plumber brought with him; if I buy my own, would a plumber fit it?? Or should I be able to fit it myself??

should be able to do it yourself as it hasn't been in long shouldn't be a problem getting out.

screwfix ones are useally pretty sound £16.63.

should be able to do it yourself as it hasn't been in long shouldn't be a problem getting out.

screwfix ones are useally pretty sound £16.63.

Sounds like a plan. I have the spanner already (albeit the 'ring' type one). Do I need to do anything to seal the thread when I put the new one in (ie PTFE or that white gunk plumbers use?).

I would really like to do it myself, if I can, because I already paid £90 to the plumber who wasn't able to get it working, and I can't really afford to spend much more money.

shouldn't need any ptfe on the thread the fibre washer does the sealing.
ptfe only makes it tight to fit/remove.
i useally just use abit of silicone grease on the fibre washer.

shouldn't need any ptfe on the thread the fibre washer does the sealing.
ptfe only makes it tight to fit/remove.
i useally just use abit of silicone grease on the fibre washer.

Really sorry for all the idiot questions... does the fibre washer come with the immersion?? And I can get silicone grease from screwfix or wickes or whatever?? I can't see it listed by that name... is it called something else??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back