IMMERSION HEATER PLUG REMOVAL TIPS PLSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Following my earlier thread about the size of the nut on the plug I found the one on my own to be 32mm, whereas B&Q off the shelf was 30mm, so obviously it does depend on the manufacturer.. for any others interested.

So, I got a 32mm socket but after flooding the airing cupboard with WD40 for 7 days, I still cannot move the plug.. altho admittedly I haven't used maximum torque for fear of ripping the tank.
The tank is I believe the original 22 yr old fixture.
I shall continue to apply WD40.. but does anyone have any tips of the trade plse :(

Sponsored Links
It would help if you continued your original post rather than starting a new one, that way those of us that missed it first time round won't be in the dark about what you're up to

Sponsored Links
How is wd40 going to do anything, whatever is sealing it to stop water getting out of the cylinder, is also going to stop wd40 getting into the thread.

Try heating it up and using shock treatment by whacking it hard with a hammer, also try tightening before undoing.

Or just cut the b*stard out.

James

same as on an immersion element.

drain enough water out of the cyl.
drill a hole say in/near middle.
get a hacksaw blade, useally with tape one end to hold and cut from the centre out.
i useally cut about 1/4 or just over.
just be careful when you get near the edge (thread) you'll have to slightly cut into the thread.
but when you cut the top that sits on the gasket just take it slow and keep the blade level cause you don't want to damage the face where the gasket sits.

its useally ok as you have the gasket in the middle that you feel the blade hit before touching the cyl's face.

Thanks James,
Ok, I did wonder how this ancient plumber might have sealed this plug.
To be honest, I am looking to replace my equally ancient boiler which suddenly died last week, then lived again just as I called in BGas.. but I have no alternate hot water heater.. hence the need to fit an immersion quick.
I shall try the heat treatment .. But, if the only other way is to cut it out I think I might just replace the tank along with the boiler which are both 22yrs old. If I try to cut it and it all goes wrong.. ooooh.

OK guys,
your replies came in while I was typing..... I get the picture now.
I shall try the heat treatment, but with respect, I think I won't attempt to cut it with the possible problems should it go wrong, leaving me with no tank at all.
Thanks again :)

OK guys,
your replies came in while I was typing..... I get the picture now.
I shall try the heat treatment, but with respect, I think I won't attempt to cut it with the possible problems should it go wrong, leaving me with no tank at all.
Thanks again :)

this is one done ages ago.
if its gonna fail it will be heating and whacking it.
temprq9m.jpg

Thanks Seco,
I'll consider all options... depends really if the boiler stops again, which will force my decision.
Cheers :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back