Immersion heater supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, just seeking some advice.
I have an immersion heater, unfortunately my CU has no spare ways (since electric shower install). I only want to run the heater at night occasionally in the summer as I have a stove to heat the water.
Is it possible to run a spur off either the ring main or the cooker radial to supply the heater. I intend to put a timer on the immersion so it will only be on at night i.e. nothing else big being turned on.

Cheers everybody

PS great site for DIY tips and help :D

Sponsored Links
Icantsolder said:
Hello all, just seeking some advice.
I have an immersion heater, unfortunately my CU has no spare ways (since electric shower install). I only want to run the heater at night occasionally in the summer as I have a stove to heat the water.
Is it possible to run a spur off either the ring main or the cooker radial to supply the heater. I intend to put a timer on the immersion so it will only be on at night i.e. nothing else big being turned on.

Cheers everybody

PS great site for DIY tips and help :D

do NOT use the cooker circuit.

you can have it on the ring main. best use a fused spur feeding a timeclock then to the heater

sorry to sound a bit dim but what rating FCU should I use?

I thought immersions normally had 16A MCB, but can only find 13A FCU

Sponsored Links
Icantsolder said:
sorry to sound a bit dim but what rating FCU should I use?

I thought immersions normally had 16A MCB, but can only find 13A FCU
13A FCU. there isnt a 13A MCB. and there isnt a 16A fuse (not for a FCU, anyway. aswell as the fact a spur has a max of 13A)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back