immersion heater thermostats, are they all rubbish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i dont have a call to do much with immersion heaters these days, but came accross something odd today. custommer complaining of hot water being red hot. i suggested turning the thermostat on the emmersion down ( no other form of indirect heat to tank, just electric). so duly tried that after testing that the thermostat worked. called again a few days later to say still red hot. decided to change thermostate. still the same. removed emmersion and checked not scaled over, all was ok. resistance reading of emmersion was also ok. all replaced. again another thermostat fitted (thank god they are only a few pounds!) well went back today and the over heat trip had gone. so three in a row not performing as expected.
the tank itself is a early 1980's tank, not scaled up and emmersion in good order. the only obvious fault with it is that it had been fitted with a 11" emmersion instead of a 27", which would fit.

only thing i can think is that the new thermostates are slightly smaller than the original fitting, so there is not enough contact between the dry pocket and its outer sleeve. this sounds inprobable to me. has anyone had problems like this?

Sponsored Links
Had a few like that with the cheaper brands ie bes, screwfix, sheds.
now i tend to sticker with backer immersions/stats which are alot better quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back