immersion heater trips mcb

woohoo!! It's all changed, sealed and i have hot water, thanks again for all the help and advice. DF

Sponsored Links
dfub said:
I have a copper hot water storage tank, that is heated by an immersion heater that we turn on and off when we need it. This is the only hot water system we have, no gas central heating etc.

When i switched it on today it tripped the mcb (plug-in wylex). So i reset the switch and tried again, it tripped again.
Hello everyone,

I seem to have the same (or similar) set up and problem to that described above; except the fuse which keeps blowing is the 'old' type where you have to cut a length of fuse wire and fasten it into place.

So where to start? How do I know if the thermostat has failed or the heating element(s) ?
In case it helps, the hot water, at its hottest, has been fiendishly hot over recent months .. too hot to touch.
Presumably I need to start as mentioned earlier in this thread, by getting someone with a circuit tester to check out what may have failed ? Unfortunately I don't have one myself.

I'm also nervous about any need to drain the cylinder, as I can't see an obvious way to do that.

Here's hoping someone may reply; I need to find a mega cheap solution as I am unemployed; fixing this (DIY) will make me pretty penniless for the next week or so.

Thanks a lot,
Lee

Please create a new topic - forum rules discourage the continuation of this one when you're presenting a new problem, because it gets confusing.

Softus said:
Please create a new topic - forum rules discourage the continuation of this one when you're presenting a new problem, because it gets confusing.
I didn't know that; especially as my problem seems the same.
Anyway, I've taken the thermostat out and will go to the local plumbers' merchants with it and see what they suggest.

Sponsored Links
A faulty thermostat won't trip anything. Please start a new topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back