Immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A newbie here with next to no technical know-how (and that's being kind to myself).

I've got a water heater with a timer set up in a rental flat. The lady has said over the weekend that she's had no hot water.

I've popped round this AM and there is a switch (with a light) that leads to the timer - the light comes on, but the timer appears to have no power going to it.

I've bought a new timer and am getting this installed tonight - does it sound like a case of the timer having gone (it's a Smiths ETU7000) and i've bought a Diall immersion heater (EMT551ET) timer from B&Q.

Hopefully this will do the job... reckon so?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the existing timer has no power going to it then neither will the replacement one.

How have you determined that there is "no power"?

If the existing timer has no power going to it then neither will the replacement one.

How have you determined that there is "no power"?

cheers

I've assumed there's no power as previously the lady had hot water, and there were lights on the timer and now there are no lights, and no hot water....

"Assuming" can be a very lengthy process where you assume one thing is broken, buy it, then find there's a different fault to the one that you "assumed". Even worse, you can end up blowing the new thing that you bought because of your wrong assumption.

You need a multimeter, or a two probe mains voltage tester and, with respect, the knowledge to understand what the readings mean. . Without that you are trully peeing in the dark, and your tenant will not want another day washing herself in a kettle-full of water.

I'm sure she's pays a decent amount of rental, get someone who knows what they are doing….

Sponsored Links
Thanks....

I've got a sparky going round tonight so he will have all the tools etc.

So the new timer is in.

I tested the hot water before we left and it was still cold, but I guess that it takes a while for the water to heat up so not unusual.

If it still doesn't heat up in a few hours, what's the next course of action? A new heating element?

You will hear it if it is working. It's a big kettle.

Next step, an electrician (or plumber) to find out what's wrong.

If I understand correctly, and if we believe what we've been told, I think it was an electrician who replaced the timer. One might have expected him to test the element - or, at least, to make sure that it was working!

Kind Regards, John

If I understand correctly, and if we believe what we've been told, I think it was an electrician who replaced the timer. One might have expected him to test the element - or, at least, to make sure that it was working!

Kind Regards, John

Well yes, but what you expect and what happens isn't always the same.

The sparky replaced the timer, that's it.

Is a sparky or plumber best?

Id suggest a plumber but ask him first if he is capable of the electrical side involved.
You say the supplys present so it could now involve a new element which means draining tank.
Its possible a failed element blew the old timer

A basic test is too look at the meter a 3kw element on will show as a substantial increased load

So the new timer is in.

I tested the hot water before we left and it was still cold, but I guess that it takes a while for the water to heat up so not unusual.

If it still doesn't heat up in a few hours, what's the next course of action? A new heating element?

Sorry, you are guessing and assuming again.
Call your sparky and aks him if he tested that the supply was getting right through to the element.

Or did you just say "the timer is faulty, can you replace it". And that's all that he did.

Let's assume (;) ) that the timer is OK. But the water still does not get hot…
it could be the overheat trip, the thermostat, the element itself, one of the cable connections, the cable itself…..

Which one are you going to guess is the problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back