Immersion

Sponsored Links
Turn off supply to tank and partially drain the cylinder or you will have a shower. :D

get one of the big "box" spanners if you can

start the heater turning (unscrew it a fraction) before you drain the cylinder., cylinders are paper-thin soft copper and very liable to tear or leak from the force you apply.

the weight and pressure of the water inside will stiffen it a bit.

If you see the copper start to wrinkle or crease, stop, and look up the price of a new cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Done literally hundreds of I/H renewals, bet i've only done a handfull where i haven'e had to use a blowlamp on them 'cos they are that seized with the gunge that they've been put in with! If you can crack the thread before draining to below I/H, THEN I CAN SAY YOU ARE VERY VERY FORTUNATE!!

Keith.

thanks wiggikins...do you just use the blow lamp to remove the crap...I have one and I've borrowed a Immersion spanner

Think you will have to drain the cyl a bit below the immersion heater or the heat will disappear into the water. :(

As Bahco remarks, lower level in cylinder to below I/H level,(undo HW draw off connection and carefully spring it aside, syphon water off to req'd level). Heat up I/H till it "softens" jointing medium, trial and error really , just keep applying heat till it "goes"!! Good luck :LOL:

Keith.

the person who fitted my cylinder used LSX, I asked if that would make it difficult to get the imersion out, he didn't seem concerned :(

Wouldn't PTFE do the job?

the person who fitted my cylinder used LSX, I asked if that would make it difficult to get the imersion out, he didn't seem concerned :(

Wouldn't PTFE do the job?

John, when theOP's cylinder was installed it could have been done with something like "Red Stag", brilliant gear but rarely used in plumbing nowadays, even Boss White hardens, moreso with heat in use,hence the need to heat to remove. Wouldn't know about PTFE, never used it for this application and never would!!

I always use silicone grease on the washer and some on the thread to lubricate them and to an extent to keep the water from corroding the threads.

Tony

I always give em a good whack with a hammer,(on the spanner, not on the I/H itself).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back