Immursion heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an old boiler and I think the pump is broken. I have no hot water or central heating. I am currently using the immursion heater to get hot water until the boiler is replaced to a combi. do I have to have the boiler on to use the immursion heater. I am worried that the tank will not refill once I have used some water. Many thanks for youe help in this matter

Sponsored Links
just switch the immersion on at the wall.
the cylinder will refill from the tank in the loft.
and no you don't need the boiler switched on.

Thank you Seco. Much appreciated. Ill leave it on at the wall. Final question though should I leave it on permanently or turn it on twice a day. :D

your choice really depending how much hot water your going to use in a day.

even if you leave it on at the wall and don't use much hot water once its to temp the stat will shut it off and the cylinder will keep it hot alday.

Sponsored Links
thanks seco you have been great. I dont use that much hot water so ill turn in on twice a day. Thanks again.

If your cylinder has a foam insulation cover that is stuck to the boiler, you will not safe anything noticeable by switching on and off.

Thank you for that. However as its a really old boiler I am not sure whats working and what isnt. If the thermostat is broken wouldnt the boiler explode by over heating. Many thanks again for your advice.

Open vent can not explode. Besides, immersion heater has nothing to do with your boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back