improver/mate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

im looking for a work placement/ experience. im level 2 at moment but will be funding level 3 myself, work in greater manchester inparticular new builds. cheers

Sponsored Links
I wish I could help, but I am on the other end of the scale and retired. An improver refers to an apprentice in the last two years, i.e. years 6 and 7 of their apprenticeship, where they spend 6 months in 4 different firms so they get anything not taught where they did their apprenticeship. Even in my day that was well gone, with the day release and evening classes replacing it.

We do get volunteers where I work trying to get some work experience, but I would assume you want paying, the minimum wage works against you, when I started apprentices were paid very little, but at least paid, my wife had to pay to be taken on with a hair dresser. But today employers can't pay what they think the person or job is worth, so the night watchman is a thing of the past, either nothing or minimum wage nothing between.

As to the levels, even BS 7671 is level 3, as is an 'A' level, there are some level 2 courses, which is what a CSE, 'O' level, is. So the C&G 2391 is quite a hard level 3, and C&G 2382 or what ever it is called now, shows you can read a book. Even in my day the technicians course was far harder than a plain electrician.

Age is also an issue, I have to go and watch a girl work, she does work hard, and I don't mind, but she is under age, and also no one should work alone, but age also changes what minimum wage is.

Full marks for trying, but really it needs you to personally call on people, and also state what sort of work you want, even within the electrical trade, petrol-chemical, shop fitting, manufacturing and domestic are very different. Can't see a house basher being asked to work on a PLC or three phase, although it is moving that way.

I did out of interest look at your profile, but
This member limits who may view their full profile.
does not really help. You profile is a type of CV (Curriculum Vitae) and it really does need to show you in a good light.

I know when I went to University they were suppose to find a placement for me, not that at 60+ they did, but it is worth seeing if lecturers can help you.

nope no pay expected no college or training fees absolutley free

Sponsored Links
I wish you all the very best.

I was in your position in Greater Manchester in the early 80s trying to get all sorts of experience and I did a heck of a lot of work for free. But I enjoyed it so much and eventually got where I wanted to be.

Things have changed a little bit, but back in the day, I would trawl through the Yellow Pages, working through the list ringing all the sparks.

Many charities will train you, national boat museum, many heritage railways, but they have to be registered as a charity to be able to have volunteers. Or connected to an education establishment, work placements from collage or Uni, in fact we have them from schools.

But unless a charity or education establishment then the minimum wage kicks in. Even when classed as 20% disabled I could not work for below minimum wage, and before I hit retirement age, I could not work without it stopping my benefits, even unpaid for a charity, unless the job centre sent me to the placement.

I had a problem, job centre and employers said I was not fit to work, and also the Professor I had to see, but some nurse working for DHSS said I could work, clearly wearing blinkers, lucky I was old enough to get pension credits and retire.

It is all the red tape generated by the do gooders which means you can't get jobs, I could have worked as a night watchman, but minimum wage killed that job, and I could work when some one can take over when the pain starts, as I do with railway, but not a 9 to 5 job. I now I am retired work one day a week as a volunteer on local heritage railway, but could only do it after I had retired, and moved here to live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back