Improving a toilet's flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my toilets has a poor flush, and it has been like that since I bought it . It takes at least 3 flushes before I clear the bowl. The toilet is attached to a vanity unit which matches its cistern box. I am almost inclined to replace it, but that would mean replacing the tiles as well, and the sink . A friend of mine suggested replacing the flush mechanism in order to improve water pressure, which would obviously be a good short term measure if feasible. Ultimately I want to replace the whole bathroom, but not for some time, so I'd like some further advice please, Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try holding down the button/handle, that might trigger a longer flush. Also what is the make, some pics might help.

Blup

Unfortunately there is no brand name on the unit that I can find although i did buy it from Victoria plumbing

Sponsored Links
I have a long standing customer who had this problem, long story short, I ended up taking the loo out, thinking a child had dropped something in it, blocking the outlet; only to discover a huge build up of some form of scale inside the spigot, (half an inch thick) 10 mins hacking it off with a screwdriver , and it's like new.

IMG_0155.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 25
It could be the toilet design , had one which flushed mainly from the rear like that and it tended to roll the waste rather than flush it away .
Could take 3-4 flushes to clear .

It could be the toilet design , had one which flushed mainly from the rear like that and it tended to roll the waste rather than flush it away .
Could take 3-4 flushes to clear .
Yes that's why I wanted to replace the toilet in the first but it would also necessitate replacing the tiling both wall and floor

It looks fairly conventional, but you could take out the flushing valve and fit a Flapper, which gives the most powerful flush you can get. It is not expensive but you will have to lift the cistern off.

Start by adjusting the water level in the cistern to the highest, just below the overflow and below any holes for fixing screws or handle.

Take the cistern lid off and photograph what's inside for us.

Show us the route of the soil pipe. It's not a flexi, is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back