Indesit DIF04 Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Indesit DIF04 integrated dishwasher.

We have had it for about 7 years now, used daily. In that time we had fault where the wires split in the door when it was about 5 years old. I was able to repair these and it has continued fine. We then had the heater element die so I replaced the main circulation pump which houses this. It then carried on for another couple of years.

Earlier this week it was refusing to start, lights 1 and 3 were flashing, which according to the manual is blocked filters. When I say refusing to start, it does actually start - it does the normal single beep to acknowledge it is starting, you can then hear the drain pump going and a gurgle in the sink. Then it stops (you normally hear water going in at this point).

I removed the three parts to the filter and gave them a good clean but it made no difference. Through sheer determination we made it work by just continuously trying until on one go it decided to work. However the next time it failed again!

I turned it up and removed most of the parts from underneath and checked them - no blockages. I gave everything a clean and reassembled. The drain pump visually looked in good order and didn't have anything wrapped around it etc.

I've put it all back together and now when I try and run it, it all starts off fine but it fails much further in. It doesn't seem to ever get to the three beeps and instead when I come to it, I find it has the same two lights flashing (1 and 3). The dishes all seem to be spotless at this point so I'm guessing it must be near the end of the cycle.

So I can't figure out what it is.

My guess would be the drain pump, but it seems to be pumping out the water, if I tip a glass of water into the filter it will remove it all during the first run of the drain pump.

I have also taken the door off to check for any more broken wires but all looks good there.

Sponsored Links
If its draining at the start of a programme its the Water inlet valve, as you say, at this point it normally fills, so if no water entering into the tub Valve faulty.

As far as I know it always drains first, it has always made the sound of draining first. I figured this was to remove the swigs of tea etc that end up in the bottom?

It doesn't fill up at the bottom if left empty (unless we throw something in)

It has just managed to finish a full load with no errors, and I have put another load in 5 minutes after (bit of a backlog from the week!) and it has started fine but again with the drain noise first.

I'm a bit puzzled will have to see how often it fails unless anyone has some ideas?

So are you saying that it sometimes fills with water and other times does not?

Sponsored Links
If you are meaning fills as in fills up at the bottom - no it doesn't do this. Occasionally when it has stopped there has been some water in the filter at the bottom.

Pretty sure your problem is with the inlet valve.

So you turn it on, it drains and goes no further. You then open the door and throw in some water, close door and the machine continues and does the rest of the programme fine.

No.

From new when you use the machine you would press the button to select the programme then shut the door it would beep once then shortly after you would hear the drain pump running and the sink would gurgle. It then goes silent for about 1 minute then you hear water start to enter.

Originally the fault was that I would turn it on, it would beep then do the draining bit but then it would stop and the lights would flash indicating a blocked filter. If I threw water in at this point it would make no difference. If I repeatedly switched it off then back on then eventually it would get passed this point and carry on.

When I mentioned about water - I meant that the drain pump appeared to be working as it moves anything out.

Since dismantling and reassembling the dishwasher it now starts every time but sometimes ends with the same filter fault. However this is now much further into the programme and the dishes have been spotlessly clean at this point. Sometimes it completes the cycle perfectly with no error shown.

So the current situation is that it is working, even if it isn't quite 100% finishing. So whatever I did improved it.

Does this still sound like the inlet valve?

Drain pump, drain pump impellor, drain pump/waste hose rubber valve, jug under filter, waste hose and under sink trap all clean and clear.

Is the'jug well' under the filter always clear of water? Will always be about an inch remaining.

It would suggest the inlet valve is faulty as thats usually the next step after a drain, the filling cycle. Could be ocassionally sticking.

Have you had the left side panel off yet?

Yes all - those parts are clean and clear.

I don't know of anyway to test the inlet valve.

I've not had the left side panel off - what is behind there? I've taken everything off from underneath except for the salt container.

It worked again today so the last 3 times in a row it has been perfect.

The easiest way to test the inlet valve is to remove the wiring connectors and apply 230v directly to the valve (live and neutral), either way around. Valve can remain in-situ.
Turn on and off power to it 20-30 times and observe the water flow.
If it fails to let water flow or flow at a drastically low speed replace.

The next item to test would be the anti-flood device switch. If you don't know how to properly let me know but you will need a meter for this.

It seems to have carried on working fine.

So before stripping it down it was failing at the beginning nearly every time.

After stripping it down it failed near the end of the cycle for the first 2 runs, but has then run flawlessly since.

So fingers crossed whatever was playing up has sorted its self out now.

I'll post back if it fails again.

Thanks for the help.

Did you tamper with the anti-flood switch by any chance?

I only pushed the polystyrene float up and down. However there is a different sequence of lights for an error with the anti flood.

I think I spoke to soon yesterday. Having worked perfectly for a good few days it played up tonight!

Back to the original fault of never really getting going.

2 fails, then 3rd time lucky - still running at the moment so fingers crossed it will finish.

Really you need to test the anti flood switch with a meter. I know what your saying about a different fault code with the flood switch but thats when it is fully triggered.

A meter test will confirm for sure. Alternatively you could bypass the switch altogether to eliminate.

Also checking the inlet valve as previously described but my gut instinct is the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back