Indesit W/D 966W stopped on heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Indesit w/d 966W working fine until 2nd wash today. Several minutes into cycle and has filled with water (so should be starting to heat the water), the power light on the power switch goes out and machine stops, nothing happening, sat there full of clothes and water. There is power to the wall socket and the fuse in the machines plug is fine and plug wiring looks fine so am about to go inside suspecting the heating element, although why anything other than an open circuit hasn't blown the fuse I don't know yet, unless; anyone knows of any other safety cut outs, trips or fuses etc inside ? or is the plug fuse the only electrical safety ? in which case I'd be surprised why the fuse is intact but power off to machines power switch ! Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Checked further and found power in machine onto on/off switch. This switch is a push on, push again for off and it is now sitting further recessed into the machine from than before this happened. Pushing switch does not give power out of switch so switch is duff (also very loose fitting) which is confirmed by disconnecting and measuring resistance across terminals. Neutral side is closed circuit and live side is open circuit and nothing changes as the switch is operated, so switch has failed. Am searching web but anyone advise on where these may be had, but even more important question for you guys with experience, how the hell is this switch removed ? Can't see any screws so suspect it is one of these factory fitted push clip things but can't really tell in this confined space. Any advice greatly appreciated.

This is the switch I need; obviously the shaft goes through to the front of the machine and has a white button on it. Still can't see how to get old one out though. I'm guessing its those little plastic push clips things so brute force to get old one out, can anyone confirm this please ? before I get heavy with it.
SRU003412-70-00.JPG

Little plastic lugs, if you press the lugs in with a screwdriver the switch should pop through. Don't force it, if you break the plastic surround you're looking at a new facia.

Sponsored Links
Thanks sleepyhead, I can't see them still but suspected as much. I have a new one ordered so will wait to get a look at that to see where the lugs are and subsequently how to operate. In case anyone else is following this re confirmation of the diagnosis; I have confirmed this with a temporary bypass of the defective live side of the switch (just for confirmation purposes) and machine works.
N.B. Sleepyhead, does the white plastic button on the end of the switch shaft (the button you operate the switch with from outside the cover) just pull off from the outside ? and does this then give access to the lugs or do you have to squeeze the lugs in from inside the machine ?

Pull the button off, you'll see the bits holding the switch then.

Sleepyhead, thanks, your a star. Now where are those rubber gloves !

Trying to pin in 4 plastic lugs at the same time, argh. Broke them off and jobs done and all is well again. Thanks for help sleepyhead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back