Indesit W123 electrical problem?

You lovely lovely people - had this exact problem with my washing machine today (to be honest the spin cycle has been noisy lately). Today the cycle would get part way through then the programme dial would just click round and round and round. Delighted to say that the problem, after reading this thread, was easy to resolve. Firstly I emptied the water out of the drum by hand with a jug, then took off the panel from the bottom of the machine, turned the filter cover and, as it would only turn about a quarter of the way round, we presumed that it was just designed to let the water out and wasn't supposed to come off - but after reading this thread we got hold of the pliers and forced the cover open - which wasn't too difficult after all, even though we couldn't do it by hand. This revealed 3 shirt collar stifteners, 55p and a 13 amp fuse?! Hey presto - washing machine back to normal again and hubby lectured about leaving things in his pockets which went on to me being blamed for not checking pockets...and the age old argument continues so all is well with the world...!

Sponsored Links
Hi. The drain cover is always hard to remove due to calcium build up. Sometime you will actually break to cover from the inner filter to remove it. Removing the cover on a regular basis for cleaning will stop this problem and also is a good time to remove things like coins and safety pins from the filter.

As far as the timer is concerned, when it keeps going round and round even after resetting it means that there is a fault in the washing machine and not in the timer. The problem as some have found out can be just a blockage, but it's not the timer.

There is a PCB in the bottom rear of the machine which has a white plastic cover. You can see it on the rear on the far bottom left. Taken the cover of exposes some terminals that engineers use which diagnose what the anomaly is with the machine.

Check the filter, pump and pipes for blockages to save yourself a few quid on an engineer.

no need to lubricate it
it should be removed periodically (especially if it is likely that pockets are not checked or you have kids/pets) and cleaned

ensure you clean the seal and threads before putting it back though

if it is lubricated to help it come out easier it could vibrate out during a cycle since you will have weakened the mechanical grip

After having this same problem i pulled off the plastic kick plate at the bottom of the machine at the front, this reveals a black round stopper about 2.5 inches, i then unscrewed it and removed it to reveal the pump housing from which i took a 5p, two screws and a build up of fluff,

once this was cleaned i put everything back as it was but still the machine would only work on number 8, anything else and the dial just clicked and kept spinning.

I then pulled out the machine and removed the plug, switched off the hot water at the valve under the sink and with a bucket underneath the back of the washing machine, removed the hot pipe connection as it entered the machine.

Inside the hot water valve at the back of the machine was a small red filter which i removed with a small screwdriver.
I then replaced everthing as was and making sure no pipes were kinked (very important) i carefully put the machine back.

It has been fine ever since.

The red light on the machine will blink a number of times if there is still a
problem, refer to indesits guide to tell you what the problem is.

Sponsored Links
After having this same problem i pulled off the plastic kick plate at the bottom of the machine at the front, this reveals a black round stopper about 2.5 inches, i then unscrewed it and removed it to reveal the pump housing from which i took a 5p, two screws and a build up of fluff,

once this was cleaned i put everything back as it was but still the machine would only work on number 8, anything else and the dial just clicked and kept spinning.

I then pulled out the machine and removed the plug, switched off the hot water at the valve under the sink and with a bucket underneath the back of the washing machine, removed the hot pipe connection as it entered the machine.

Inside the hot water valve at the back of the machine was a small red filter which i removed with a small screwdriver.
I then replaced everthing as was and making sure no pipes were kinked (very important) i carefully put the machine back.

It has been fine ever since.

The red light on the machine will blink a number of times if there is still a
problem, refer to indesits guide to tell you what the problem is.

It sounds like you might have removed the seal which creates a water tight seal to the washer, the 1st thing to do when your washer starts playing up is to remove the bottom panel and remove the filter and check for foreign objects that might have gathered in there, if you can't turn the filter (to the left to remove) enough to remove it fully, don't force it as you might break it, it's only plastic. You have to disconnect all the pipework and drag the washer out of it's space and lay it on it's back, you can access all you need to do to the pump from underneath of the washer, you can remove it, totally strip it down and replace it if needed. A new pump will cost around £40 and you can replace it yourself in 10 minutes.

Hi. The drain cover is always hard to remove due to calcium build up. Sometime you will actually break to cover from the inner filter to remove it. Removing the cover on a regular basis for cleaning will stop this problem and also is a good time to remove things like coins and safety pins from the filter.

As far as the timer is concerned, when it keeps going round and round even after resetting it means that there is a fault in the washing machine and not in the timer. The problem as some have found out can be just a blockage, but it's not the timer.

There is a PCB in the bottom rear of the machine which has a white plastic cover. You can see it on the rear on the far bottom left. Taken the cover of exposes some terminals that engineers use which diagnose what the anomaly is with the machine.

Check the filter, pump and pipes for blockages to save yourself a few quid on an engineer.

A few quid?? I was quoted a minimum of £119 pounds plus parts for my 5 year old machine. I didn't think that was worth it for a machine that I could get for less than £200 off Ebay (on offer) so we bought a brand new one from Ebay/Curries

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back