INDESIT WDL WASHER/DRYER. LOUD GRINDING/BANGING SOUND. HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you can help me again.
The washer has been temperamental lately - not spinning properly, washing having to be put through again - then working normally. This morning the machine's going through it's cycle and coming to to the end of the wash when it made horrendous grinding and banging noise, I switched off immediately, and when opened the door, washing still wet and HOT. It was only on a 40* wash - this has never happened before. Any ideas ? The washing is unspun but washed.
What is the awful noise, sounds like it contains bricks, not clothes ? Not sure about the temperature as well, is this all related ? Please Help.. :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
It could be the concrete weights have come loose but it could be the drum bearings have failed. With the washing out you can try it on a spin and that will at least get the water emptied. You can then check by turning the drum by hand whether it feels rough or notchy. You can also check for play between the inner and outer drums.
If you find rusty stains down the back of the outer drum from the drum spindle that is another indication of bearing failure (unless they failed earlier and were replaced).

Hi, thanks so much for replying. I finished the wash in the machine, the noise was loud, but it spun out and finished the job. The drum is not loose, ball bearing seem to be ok, and the spider. There is definitely an object stuck underneath the drum, in between the casing. Have a feeling it's a wire from one of my bras.... :oops: There's a slight raised bump which could be a sign of damage, but I need to get inside and under the drum to get to it..
Any advice please ? I've got a torque set (this machine has had it's moments in the past, this was a good investment) shall I go ahead and see what the obstruction is ? Is this a job worth me starting or is it futile at this point ?
Thanks sooo much for taking the time to reply. :)

You can often get access to remove such things by removing the sump hose from the bottom of the outer drum. You will need the back panel off and the machine tipped over at an angle. You may need some stiff wire such as a piece of coat hanger with a hook on the end to grab the object.

Sponsored Links
Hi, still needing help with this. I've got the back off, and the machine tipped up. I can see the hosing and the clip - if I remove the clip and pull at the (large) rubber pipe, will I get access to the space in between the drum and casing ? :confused:

Yes. If you can't see the obstruction straight away you can try shining a light in the hole where the hose went and put your head in the inner drum to look through the small holes in the drum.

:?:Quick update.. Worked out that the object is stuck IN the drum on the outside - in between the casing and the drum itself. ?? Impossible to get to from sump hole and not sure what to do next. Tempted to take off the door and rubber seal etc, but still I don't know if I'll have access to the area where this (sounds like metal) object has embedded itself into the shell of the drum..
I'm stumped. Is there any other access to the outside of the drum, my hand's too big to get inside between the casing & drum, don't think a wire coat hanger could dislodge it...
From the inside of drum, I can see where it has pushed through slightly and it hits at the bottom of it's rotation. It actually sounds like it's scraping concrete, but is this possible ? :confused: :?:

Not sure what you mean. Do you think something is trapped down the front of the drum? The other way to get access is by removing the heater but best left as a last resort because a used heater is difficult to refit.
Completely removing the door seal rarely helps much but you can sometimes just fold back the inside edge slightly to look down the front of the inner drum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back