Indicator for lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light in my loft with its own light switch is located in the loft on its "own circuit" (it's tapped off the landing light mains but runs independently).

My question is, is there a way to wire in an external LED (or maybe neon) indicator lamp from the switch that I could fit to the loft hatch frame which shows if the light is on? The reason being, if the light is accidentally left on in the loft, you can see if its on or not with the hatch shut

Sponsored Links
There's unlikely to he a neutral at the switch so easiest way will be to connect in parallel with the loft light.
Or put an led lamp in the loft and stop worrying about it

If the switch has a Neutral as well as Live and Switched Live at the switch then yes you can wire an indicator from the switch using twin and Earth cable.

If there is only Live and Switched Live at the switch then you would need to use twin and Earth cable from the lamp to the indicator.

An alternative could be to put a small window ( port hole ) in the loft hatch with frosted glass that would show if there was light in the loft

Leaving loft lights on is something you only do once. My once was over 50 years ago. The next time the loft was accessed all three lamps had burned out. I got a *******ing from my parents and have not done it again even though I have my own place now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all!

I have inherited this loft light circuit with the house. From the junction box, someone has run some T+E through the switch and for some reason switched it on the neutral wire rather than the Live. So, the Live and Neutral are running through the switch to the light. It looks like someone has done this themselves because I dont think many electricians get their switches and stuff from Wickes!

Would something like this be suitable for the indicator? https://cpc.farnell.com/camdenboss/cbpi22-230-grn/22mm-indicator-led-pilot-light/dp/MC02598

Would the below work/be safe? I'd have to tap into the Live from the switch so would a choc block be OK in there? Or should I grab the live from junction box and run the neutral from the switch?

upload_2021-5-17_14-6-27.png

That is NOT safe as the indicator will be Live all the time irrespective of whether the switch is ON or OFF.

The switch MUST be in the Live conductor.

That is NOT safe as the indicator will be Live all the time irrespective of whether the switch is ON or OFF.

The switch MUST be in the Live conductor.
That's how its currently wired (bar the indicator), I will change it as it didnt seem right when i opened up the switch.

Not to mention that the cable was lashed across the top of those metal things that hold the roof joists together, if someone put their foot on it, it would have cut through the cable!

Will a choc block be safe inside the switch back box? It's a plastic surface mount type

Last edited:
you would need to put the end of the light in an exclosure for it to be safe
Do you mean for the indicator light or the main light? The main light is an LED panel so the mains wires go into the driver

Last edited:
Do what I have done - put the loft light switch along side the ladder, but below the ceiling and if necessary add a warning light to the switch. Easy to get to, even if you have forgotten and left it on, without dropping the ladder down and easy to turn on/off as you climb the ladder.

Do what I have done - put the loft light switch along side the ladder, but below the ceiling and if necessary add a warning light to the switch. Easy to get to, even if you have forgotten and left it on, without dropping the ladder down and easy to turn on/off as you climb the ladder.

This might be a better bet actually, the airing cupboard has a void at the top where a plasterboard back box can go in and leave the switch above the airing cupboard door. Just needs the cable extending slightly. Saves dropping the ladder down again if the light does get left on

or one of these if going in the cupboard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322162486976?hash=item4b02616ec0:g:i1MAAOSwM4xXaT1A

But would you see the light in the cupboard?
I wasnt very clear, on the landing where the airing cupboard door is, there is a void between the top of the door frame and the ceiling so i'm going to put a 20amp switch with neon (overkill but i havent seen smaller ampage ones with a neon unless a fused spur with neon is suitable?) there.

This way I can join the cables inside the switch and not need choc blocks. The switch would be on the landing side.

I also remember that the earth is currently completely exposed inside the switch o_O!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back