Indicator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
i have recently bought a peugeot Partner MPV,2003,td,i have found when i indicate right and complete the turn the switch goes to the turn left position instead of the off position.
I think it will need a new switch,i fitted a new switch on my Ford Courier van in 15 mins but the Peugeot will need the steering wheel removing and as it is fitted with an air bag in the centre section of the steering wheel i am not sure how to proceed,is this job a diy job?
I would say i have average DIY scills mechanical/electrical
thanking you for any advice
Tom

Sponsored Links
Look at the back of the steering wheel Tom- if you can access the screws the airbag lifts clear and can be disconnected ( yellow wire).
It's essential to disconnect the battery for at least an hour though before you start, and the air bag light may be illuminated afterwards.
John :)

Probably is a DIY job but you do need the book to tell you how!

For instance battery has to be disconnected and then everything left so the power capacitors in the air bag controller can discharge before disconnecting it.

Air bag can then be removed and steering wheel and ultimately the offending switch.

I think it was about 2001/2 that Peugeot changed from 'conventional wiring' to 'multiplex' which basically means the switch itself has its own computer system. It also means that the switch is mega expensive if purchased from the manufacturers. Think in the region of £300. There are several firms who claim to repair them for considerably less.

Plus, if it anything like with their cars, there are a number of different switches depending upon vehicle functions so don't expect to simply purchase one second hand at the scrappy and expect it to work.

Incidently problem you are having with this switch is actually a very common one. This switch unit also handles other vehicle functions and it is easily possible for some faults to show up with illuminating warning lamps that can result in MOT failure

Sponsored Links
Just looked at parts list for one version of the Partner and there is almost 20 different switches listed!!

If the air bag unit is same as their cars then a flat bladed screwdriver is pushed up small hole in base to retract fixing spring.

If you post up vin number of actual vehicle can hopefully tell you which switch you need to be looking for. Various switches cover options such as rear wipe, with/without traction control, front fog lights - the list is almost endless!!

Back