1999 Vectra, Steering wheel Sticking!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

About a week ago while going round a mini roundabout with I heard an awesome BANG from just infront of the steering wheel when turning out of the corner (Indicator didn't turn itself off). I didn't really think anything of it but now when ever I turn I get clanking noises from just infront of the wheel itself. The big problem is that ever so often the steering reaches the point where the big bag happens and gets stuck (quite scary on roundabouts). I've taken the steering shroud off to have a look but nothing obvious.

Has anybody heard of anything like this before or any idea's for repair. I don't want to have to take to a garage, christmas has cost too much already). The indicators still work ok and turn themselves off (I'm guessing that the problem is this mechanism).

Thanks,

Darren

Sponsored Links
Quite a common fault is the lower steering column coupling/UJ, although never heard one go bang! Fairly straight forward to replace
Either that or the Horn/Airbag contact/Clock Spring has broken up??

You're not having much luck with this Vectra of yours are you

regards

CJ

Hi CJ,

Thanks for you post, I'll think I'll get the garage to sort it, might be easier, the lower rear bushs on the shock absorbers have worn on both sides as well! It's typical I had no problems while the car was under waranty, as soon as the warranty runs out loads of things start going wrong!

I start a new job in a couple of weeks which will be a 120mile round trip, I think I might change to a mondeo or focus Diesel.

Air conditioning doesn't work either!!!!

Thanks again,

Darren

Sponsored Links
Back