Indonesian hardwood windows and Sadolins extra durable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a conversion I helped to work on finished in 2005. The external windows were supplied by the builder I was working with and from recollection they came from Magnet trade. They are hard wood but some kind of Indonesian fibrous hardwood. They were stained with Sadolins extra durable Mahogany before installation and every year since. Two windows are west facing which gets the worst of the weather. One has a small corner of rot where the frame meets the blockwork, so it is likely that the rain falls down the vertical face of the frame and collects slightly in the corner to cause the rot. I used Ronseal anti rot solution (2x) and filled it with car body filler.
In other places on the frames the Sadolins is flaking off to leave bare wood underneath, particularly the beads which retain the glass. This seems very poor as other window frames elsewhere (pine or other wood) do not need recoating and one window is particularly good, no rot after 30 years and looks very good following Sadolins a couple of years ago.

If anyone has any suggestions for a different stain to use or any suggestions of ideas about the preservation of this Indonesian type of wood I would be grateful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back