Indoor flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone help?
I'm about to take on building an indoor office inside a factory, I'm using upvc sections and planning on fitting a timber flat roof because they would like to sound insulate it afterwards. I will put wall plates along the top edge of the units and a wall plate along the block wall at the back, it is a 4m span between the two, my questions are:
what size timbers should I use for the wall plates :?:
what size timbers should I use across the 4m span :?:
At what centres should I space them out :?:
I will be fitting ply sheets onto the timbers.
Thanks in advance, I am a chippy but never done any roof work of any description :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
100mm x 75mm, for the wall plate, 195mmx 47mm, for the joists and set them at 450mm centres.

Might as well do 400mm centres ,they will work out right for the length /wide of the ply sheets :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,
Though I didn't explain myself too well, I called them wall plates but they won't be on a wall, one will be directly onto the tops of the upvc sections (as it is all upvc) and the back timber would be bolted to the rear block wall (not sitting on a block wall). but I'm guessing the mentioned sizes will still be okay :?:
I was originally thinking of 150mm x 50mm 'plates' with 195mm x 50mm joists @ 600mm centres, is that not recommended :?:
will it depend on the ply thickness :?:

make sure you have ally reinforcing in some of the upright upvc sections. i guess you will need something like 75mmx75mm as a bearing plate on top of the upvc, and 150mmx50mm wall plate bolted every 600mm at tuther end sounds fine. i guess you will be fixing joist hangers to the wall plate then?
600mm centres on the joists might be stretching it a bit. i would buy a couple more joists and go with the 400mm centres for peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back