Indoor gas heater needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me a small portable gas heater that is safe for indoor use.

During a recent power failure our 89 year old became very cold.

All of the gas heaters I have seen have been for outdoors and/or not safe indoors.

Thanks for help

JOhnDL

Sponsored Links
if there is no chimney for the fire, then the fumes, and water vapour which it generates, will be in the room and you will be breathing them. This can be very dangerous.

A fleecy blanket will be much healthier. If necessary, and if you have a gas cooker, fill a hot water bottle. For the elderly, use hot but not boiling water which may scald or damage the skin.

Thanks for your reply.

There is no chimney, no gas installed except for central heating and no means of heating hot water during a power failure.

We did have him wrapped up in a goose down duvet maximum warmth but it was not sufficient hence the question.

He is used to sitting next to a small electric fan heater as well as central heating.

JohnDL

Sponsored Links
Not a direct answer, but:
- register with the electricity company as a vulnerable customer
- storage heater will retail and release heat from the previous night in the event of a daytime power cut
- if you have oil or bulk lpg central heating then a small inverter can power that from a car battery

Thanks for your helpful replies.

The electricity supplier said they would treat him as a vulnerable customer even though not registered but nothing they could do. It was a main fault in the sub station and the whole area was out until nearly midnight.

No room for a night storage heater.

No oil or lpj. The central heating is gas but is driven by an electric on/off switch and programmer.

JohnDL

Thanks fidom

That looks as if it would fit the bill a treat. I used to have a Calor one of a much older model years ago but I was told they are not made any more and not safe indoors. The one you suggest looks absolutely fine.

Thanks again
JohnDL

The central heating is gas but is driven by an electric on/off switch and programmer.

That's actually good. Most likely the boiler has a switched fused connector close by it, something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-dp-switched-fused-connection-unit-with-flex-outlet-white/13479

If it has a visible flex going into it, so much the better.

That can be changed to a plug and socket. In the event of a power cut, the plug can instead be connected into a standby power unit (a battery operated one will be simplest) which will run the CH. Gas CH uses little electricity, just enough for the controls and the pump. If you had a long-term problem you could even have a petrol generator in the garden, with a long extension lead to the boiler plug (warning: do not connect a generator to the house sockets)

For gas economy, you would want to turn the radiator in dad's room up, and all the others down.

No oil or lpj. The central heating is gas but is driven by an electric on/off switch and programmer.

Sorry, I mis-read the 'no gas' bit.

An inverter of suitable rating would also keep the fridge/freezer cold and provide radio/tv for companionship.

With mains gas another option is a permanent gas wall heater like a Brazilia

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/baxi-brazilia-f8s-gas-wall-heater-natural-gas---oak/

These are room sealed with a through-the-wall balanced flue, so no products of combustion in the room, no condensation, no room vents required. They have manual spark ignition and no electricity is required.

Thanks for your further helpful reply.

I do need it to be mobile.

Doesn't the mobile one suggested by fidom meet the safety concerns?

Thanks for help.

JohnDL

I do need it to be mobile.

Doesn't the mobile one suggested by fidom meet the safety concerns?

Not really. They still use combustion air from the room -- which needs to be well ventilated. It still emits water vapour, leading to condensation and dampness.

It has an oxygen depletion sensor, but that won't provide protection against carbon monoxide, which can poison even if there's oxygen in the air because the affinity between haemoglobin in blood and carbon monoxide is approximately 230 times stronger than the affinity between haemoglobin and oxygen, so haemoglobin binds to carbon monoxide in preference to oxygen.

It's a naked flame radiant heater, so there's a considerable risk of burns or fire if the heater is brushed against with clothing, fallen against, or gets toppled over.

If you have an efficient gas ch system then using a battery + inverter really is the most suitable back-up system especially for a vulnerable person. If power cuts are frequent or unattended operation is required then battery charging and switchover can be arranged automatically, like a computer UPS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back