Induction hob buying advice.

Sponsored Links
I like the concept of induction, but HATE the controls that 99% of them have!

I love to cook, but never plan anything and can be quite erratic in the kitchen! I have to grab at physical knobs and turn them up or down, I really struggle in my parents kitchen when I have to faff with multiple clicks on a panel (especially when I accidentally put something on it and it turns off completely and buggers up the rest of my pans)

Neff Twistpad - single knob that does all of the cooking zones. Move slightly towards the zone you want to control then rotate to adjust the heat output.

The knob is removable for cleaning, it's attached by a magnet so you still get the benefits of a totally flat glass surface for cleaning.

All induction hobs stop heating if you lift the pan off - it's an inevitable result of how they work. Some may actually switch off if you do that, better ones have a delay before that happens.

New pans will be required, even if you have some which are compatible, as any pan that's been previously used with gas will be warped and distorted.

Sponsored Links
Maybe go and play with some in a kitchen shop before you buy (they need to be wired in)

I like our Neff for the most part but the control system is irritatingly ponderous

You hold your finger on the power "button" (an area of the glass that has some kind of numb touch sensor) for a while, and it activates

You hold your finger on the button indicating the ring you want to activate and wait for a light near your finger to illuminate

You decide what power level, between 1 and 10 you want.

If your desired power level is near 4, hold your finger on the minus button for a while and the ring will activate at level 4. Use the plus and minus buttons to ponderously fine tune the power level to what you want or hold your finger to zip the power level up and down faster after a delay

If you use the plus button to activate the ring instead of minus, the ring activates at level 9 and you can adjust from there

There are L and P buttons which correspond to approximately level 2 and 10 respectively but L is considered as below 1 for plus/minus purposes so the fastest way to turn a ring off is to L it then minus it

-

All in I think it sucks as a control interface and I'd have preferred a "slider". Some hobs have a magnetic disc you can position to indicate the ring and spin to set the power

Whether that's better I don't know but had I known how annoyingly slow the hob feels to use I might have picked a different hob

-

The hob came with a pan set and hands down I have never found a pan that works better than those. Fortunately people that buy induction hobs are probably the same sort of poncey that have a Gordon Ramsey platinum edition pan set so they sell the included pan set off, which is great for someone who wants spare pans that work amazingly well with induction at a bargain price

-

I also read that some induction hobs have boil dry protection (I think they monitor the pan temp and if it rises more than a pan that is boiling water should, it switches off)
I wish mine had this as there have been a few times the veg steamer has boiled dry and the house stinks for days

Do the pans not get hot on an induction hob?
The pans get hot, the hob gets warm as a consequence of having a hot pan on it but generally if you cook on one you wouldn't badly burn yourself if you touched the hob afterwards even if touching the pan would burn you

Some pans are not induction compatible because they aren't made of(or contain blocks of) ferrous material that the induction magnet coils in the hob can "vibrate"

If you put a purely aluminium pan on an induction hob it won't detect it's presence nor could it heat it up

cleaning.
That’s my job,
Next time buy a pyrolytic oven; they heat to 500 degrees turning everything to ash while you clean your alloy wheels :)

Last edited:
Neff Twistpad - single knob that does all of the cooking zones. Move slightly towards the zone you want to control then rotate to adjust the heat output.

The knob is removable for cleaning, it's attached by a magnet so you still get the benefits of a totally flat glass surface for cleaning.

All induction hobs stop heating if you lift the pan off - it's an inevitable result of how they work. Some may actually switch off if you do that, better ones have a delay before that happens.

New pans will be required, even if you have some which are compatible, as any pan that's been previously used with gas will be warped and distorted.
That is the exact one I want. Unfortunately Mrs Mottie is dead against it. I made the mistake of showing her a video of it and when the Neff demonstrater lady said "To fry an egg, first get your instruction book out….." "No!" She said, "I'm not getting an instruction book out to fry a bloody egg!"

The argument continues. I’m going to have to go into full sulk mode and see if that will work…….. ;)

Do the pans not get hot on an induction hob?
Obviously, but they are heated evenly.
Gas flames licking about underneath creates hotspots, which distort the base from the first time it's used.

Distorted base pans will work on induction, but it's certainly not optimal.

The argument continues. I’m going to have to go into full sulk mode and see if that will work…….. ;)
I tried reasoned argument (and a bit of begging) after showing her this video and she said…ok. Winner! :giggle:

Going to get this one (not paying RRP though!)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back