Induction hob wiring

Sponsored Links
EFLImpudence";p="3379623 said:
Yes, the manual specifies 2.5mm for connection via a socket outlet,
Are you sure?

yep

Image1_zpse5vm28li.jpg

People here seem to agree with the 'europe' spec. Come to think of it, the UK is still in europe ('til Thursday at least!) so i should be safe with 1.5mm :)

Yes, the manual specifies 2.5mm for connection via a socket outlet,
Are you sure?

But no-one has challenged the principle of running an induction hob and a 2kw oven off the connection unit in the picture, using the 6mm cable for the hob
There is no valid challenge. That is the best way to do it.

A valid challenge would be that it doesn't meet the mi as that cooker plate supply is likely to be fused at higher than 20a.

I guess you could argue they don't have a clue though.

Sponsored Links
But no-one has challenged the principle of running an induction hob and a 2kw oven off the connection unit in the picture, using the 6mm cable for the hob
There is no valid challenge. That is the best way to do it.
A valid challenge would be that it doesn't meet the mi as that cooker plate supply is likely to be fused at higher than 20a.
That's a bit of a circular argument, because I presume EFLI was really thinking/talking about a 'valid challenge' that the manufacturer could produce to defend their instructions! As often discussed here, about the only argument they are likely to be able to produce is that something inside their product needs to be protected by an OPD no greater than 20A - but to invoke that argument would involve admitting that they had failed to include adequate internal protection in their product to make it 'safe'.

Kind Regards, John

Clearly to "make it safe" you install as the installation instructions ? An OPD no greater than 20a. That would appear to be what the instructions state and that is the installers responsibility, yes?

Regards,

DS

Clearly to "make it safe" you install as the installation instructions ? An OPD no greater than 20a. That would appear to be what the instructions state and that is the installers responsibility, yes?
One could say that. BS7671 now only requires that one should 'take into account' the instructions but, in the absence of any explanation as to the reason for that particular instruction, I suppose one has to assume that it may be 'necessary for safety'. However, as I said, that would only be the case if the appliance itself was 'inherently unsafe' (in the absence of external protection).

Whatever, connection via a 13A plug/socket or a 13A FCU (both permitted by the MIs) would obviously satisfy that instruction. One presumes that no-one in their right mind would go to the hassle of fitting a local OPD >13A when it's not necessary.

Kind Regards, John

Would you, when using a plug, use 2.5mm² flex because that is what the instructions state?

If not, why not?

Would you, when using a plug, use 2.5mm² flex because that is what the instructions state?

If not, why not?

Yes i would, what's your point ?

DS

Would you, when using a plug, use 2.5mm² flex because that is what the instructions state? ... If not, why not?
Yes i would, what's your point ?
Are you saying that you advocate 'blind' adherence to manufacturers' instructions, whatever they say? I ask because I'm quite sure that you have more than enough knowledge to know that if a flex is protected by a 13A fuse, it does not need to be 2.5mm².

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back