Induction hob with plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced my hard wired oven and am now looking to replace the hob. The previous oven and hob were hardwired into a 32 amp circuit.

The new oven is rated 2.9 kW and required hardwiring and the new induction hob Is rated 2.99kw and has come with a 13 amp plug.

I have no 13 amp socket nearby and wondered if it was ok to remove the new hob plug and hardwire the hob into the existing circuit. Ie replicating the previous wiring set up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wherever did you buy a hob with a 13A plug on it? Not from a UK retailer, surely?
Surprising though it may be, there seem to be a good few induction hobs around which are designed to be used with a 13A plug (and maybe come supplied with one) - they appear to have clever control circuitry which limits the load to 3kW.

Kind Regards, John

Personally I would replace the cooker connection unit for two fused connection units so each item is protected by a 13A fuse. Of course you can fit two sockets or mixture.

As to direct to 32A supply you would need to read the instructions.

There are hobs designed for 13 amp and also hobs which can be configured for 13A.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's a Bosch hob uk supplied

The oven needed to be hardwired in and so I'm looking to do the same with the hob and just wondered whether there were any drawbacks seeing as it came with a plug

Thanks

The oven needed to be hardwired in and so I'm looking to do the same with the hob and just wondered whether there were any drawbacks seeing as it came with a plug
The fact that it comes with a plug rather suggests that the manufacturer are probably saying that it needs to be protected by a 13A fuse (if so, it should say that somewhere in the documentation). If so, as has been said, although it can certainly be hard-wired, it would have to be wired via a Fused Connection Unit ('FCH') with a 13A fuse in it.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. That's clear

As I have no plug socket nearby. How easy is it to install -13 amp FCU?

Thanks

The FCU is a direct replacement for a single socket. So to fit two would require a twin socket box to fit them side by side. Not sure if with the grid switch range you could get two fuses in a single socket size or not. Often the grid switch needs a deeper box.

Personally if fitted with a plug I would fit a socket and simply plug it in.

As you have a dedicated 32A cooker circuit, you could feed two FCUs off that. Or two sockets. But not a double socket.

Fused Connection Unit ('FCH')

Where does the H in FCH come from? - Typo in FCU?

But not a double socket.

I assume this is because a double socket is still only rated at a total of 13/16/20 amps for both sockets in the double socket. In that case that seems like a potential design flaw with double sockets where one could plug two 2.99kw appliances in.

Sockets seem the better option as they will allow easy removal of the hob and oven if necessary without the need to unwire the FCU's.

Also can't see why the oven can't be wired to a plug also if it's maximum power is 2.9kw

The FCU is a direct replacement for a single socket. So to fit two would require a twin socket box to fit them side by side. Not sure if with the grid switch range you could get two fuses in a single socket size or not.
MK grid plus fuse modules are single module, so you could fit two of them in a single socket size.

However note that the terminal capacity on the grid plus fuse unit is only specified for up to 2x4mm. So if the incoming cable is 6mm you'd have to use a connector in the backbox to split it. Add another connector for the neutral and things are going to get pretty crowded in there.

And grid plus plates won't have any flex restraints either.

ThaNks. The oven needs to be hardwired per installation instructions and is currently hardwired with the current hob into a cooker outlet governed by a separate cooker swith above the work surface

If the new hob needs a plug then is it possible to run a socket as a spur from the cooker outlet plate?

Thanks

Fused Connection Unit ('FCH')
Where does the H in FCH come from? - Typo in FCU?
It 'comes from' the fact that the 'H' key on my keyboard is just slightly south-west of the 'U' key :)
Also can't see why the oven can't be wired to a plug also if it's maximum power is 2.9kw
As I suspected, and as the OP now confirms, one has the manufacturer's instructions to blame for that.

Kind Regards, John

ThaNks. The oven needs to be hardwired per installation instructions and is currently hardwired with the current hob into a cooker outlet governed by a separate cooker swith above the work surface ... If the new hob needs a plug then is it possible to run a socket as a spur from the cooker outlet plate?
Yes - either a socket or an FCU could be fed from the cooker outlet plate. If (as it sounds) there is a separate outlet plate for the hob (rather than a dual one for both oven and hob), then you could theoretically have that outlet plate replaced with a socket or FCU - but, in practical terms, there could be difficulties with that due to the size of the cable feeding the outlet plate.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John . It's a dual outlet plate for cooker and hob currently.

So a socket or FCU spur from the current cooker outlet plate might be the solution for the hob ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back