info needed about wood burners with boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im looking to buy a wood burning stove with a boiler but have some questions that i need answering. The size of my room (18'x11'x8') suggests i need about a 4kw output but the with 9 radiators it works out at 10-15 kw,if i got a 10kw, would this be too hot for the room?
Do these wood burning boilers have a pump to run the central heating on their own?
i think my easiest option is to connect it to the nearest radiator but do i connect the hot water out of the boiler to the return pipe on the rads, i ask this because if the gas central heating comes on, it would be going against the flow.
Does the vent have to go straight up from the wood boiler or will the gas CH vent be ok to use?
Does the flue have to go straight up a chimney or can it be angled into a chimney? Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
You can't just cobble them together.
Your HETAS installer should be able to help.

Jonas will be along in a mo to recommend an over priced thermal store, trying having a read of dunsley neutraliser instead.

the trouble you have with wood burners is the lilkely output will be around 40 to 50% off maximum with you attending 2 times an hour
so if you like spending ages attending to the fire you will probably get around 60 to 70% output
so iff you want cheap easy heat use gas unless you have several tones off coppiced ready dried wood

ive no intension of cobbling them together, it would help if i can get some answers. The reason i am looking at a wood burner is because gas is not cheap any more and i can get wood at a good price.

Sponsored Links
Thanks onetap, it was a useful place for info, unfortunately it only answered my question on the KW needed so if anyone can answer my other questions so i can have a better understanding of what is involved it would be appreciated.

Hetas guide is available on-line and gives the heat output for approved open fires and stoves with boilers; the figure is as kW of direct room heating and kW heat input into the water.

The other questions regarding fluees would best be answered by Heatas &/or Gasafe installers who could advise you on the best installation for your house. I don't believe you could share a flue for gas and solid fule appliances but I can't afford time searching for information that may/may not be relevant to your requirements.

Jonas will be along in a mo to recommend an over priced thermal store, trying having a read of dunsley neutraliser instead.
Which is rather like a thermal store without the storage.

Starting from scratch, I'd suggest the OP considers all options - unlike some on here who have publicly stated that they will never consider certain options. Personally I think if goes without saying that anyone who will not consider certain options regardless of their merits is not the right person to be asking for unbiased advice.

A store could well allow the OP to use a larger size back boiler, and thus have to tend the fire less - as in give it a fuelling up, and use the stored heat when it's burned out. It also means (if setup right) passive safety by using gravity circulation and having a buffer if the circulation pump fails for any reason (such as power cut). He needs to find a proper heating engineer who understands the options and ask them for advice.

Where as a salesman is just the person to get advice from. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back