dual central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to have a dual central heating system, for example a gas boiler combined with a wood burning stove - the idea being that the stove could be used to provide hot water and heat the radiators occasionally. This would be useful in boiler emergencies or just to save on heating bills.

Sponsored Links
Yes its possible!

Thermal store OR Dunsley neutraliser!!

Many who have wood burning stoves would advise to have a dry one!!

Yes its possible!

Thermal store OR Dunsley neutraliser!!

Many who have wood burning stoves would advise to have a dry one!!

Thank you - I'll look up what you mean by Thermal store or Dunsley neutraliser! At the moment we run 13 radiators (4 storey Victorian house) from a Potterton Suprima 30-80 Balanced Flue Gas Boiler, installed 8 years ago. However, we want to instal a woodburning stove in our living room (the chimney needs lining anyway) so thought it might be possible for the two systems to be combined, or overlap in some way? Any more comments much appreciated! Joy Godfrey

Yes you can have a dual system.We have a chiltern coal fire and a gas boiler.Use both in the winter

Sponsored Links
If you have a Potty Suprima you are taking it into dark waters if you are combining it with another heat source. They like overheating all on their own, Potterton have spent years fine tuning the electronics to keep them under control.

As Terrywookfit says, removing heat from a fuel burning stove on paper looks like a great idea, but unless the return temps are really high you can look forward to tar deposits all over the stove and the flue system.

The stove manufacturers are usually rather quiet about this drawback. I suggest you research it fully before taking the plunge. It would be far less damaging opening the doors in the property and letting the heat pass through the air, rather than indirectly through the rads.

If you have a Potty Suprima you are taking it into dark waters if you are combining it with another heat source. They like overheating all on their own, Potterton have spent years fine tuning the electronics to keep them under control.

As Terrywookfit says, removing heat from a fuel burning stove on paper looks like a great idea, but unless the return temps are really high you can look forward to tar deposits all over the stove and the flue system.

The stove manufacturers are usually rather quiet about this drawback. I suggest you research it fully before taking the plunge. It would be far less damaging opening the doors in the property and letting the heat pass through the air, rather than indirectly through the rads.

Thank you Simon - I have been warned! Do you have any comments on a backboiler just to provide hot water (not to heat radiators)?

Yes you can have a dual system.We have a chiltern coal fire and a gas boiler.Use both in the winter

Thank you for your comment - do you mean that your coal fire has a back boiler? I am thinking of a woodburning stove with a backboiler just to provide hot water (not to heat radiators).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back