Ingress of water into boiler via flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal boiler with horizontal flue. A couple of times in heavy rain & strong winds, water has come back into the boiler. Had a gas safe bloke in & basically he said not a lot can be done.

I know i'm not allowed to do anything to it, but surely there must be something to stop it. Maybe a deflector or change the way the flue goes? I'm obviously worried that water will eventually do some damage to electrics/electronics inside boiler & cost me a fortune. Many thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_114752.jpg
    IMG_20231109_114752.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Seen this before at a neighbour's and a better gas man than yours soon fitted a hood he got from somewhere for about £70.

fitting a proper flue terminal guard usually stops it, your boiler is a condensing boiler so you need a plastic coated one or it will stain your wall

fitting a proper flue terminal guard usually stops it, your boiler is a condensing boiler so you need a plastic coated one or it will stain your wall

Cheers ianmcd Don't mean to doubt you, but how is a terminal guard like the ones in the link you provided, going to stop rain ingress. It's basically open?

Sponsored Links
If you read the link I posted you will see
"Plastic coated boiler flue guards suitable for modern condensing boilers or where weather protection is required."

basically the driven rain hits the guard and drips to the ground rather than entering the flue terminal

If you read the link I posted you will see
"Plastic coated boiler flue guards suitable for modern condensing boilers or where weather protection is required."

basically the driven rain hits the guard and drips to the ground rather than entering the flue terminal
Did read the link lol, but still didn't sink in. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back