inhabita in to a direct cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my grandad has just had a new Boiler fitted buy a company for free. Any way they didnt realise his cylinder was a direct one it was only when I call round I noticed. Now they have chemical flushed the system and put a inhabita in it. What effective will this have I know it shouldn't be in there can we just fun the hot water tap or dose it all need draining and treating. [/list]

Sponsored Links
Blimey what a bunch of amateurs :eek:

I don't know what it would do if you washed with it but I believe the whole installation will need re-doing to comply with latest regs and a thorough flush to clean all the pipework.

Tell me about it even British gas didnt pick up on it when they can to look at doing it for him I gess its not something you see that often these days. So are you saying it needs redoing

Step back a bit. .....

Why was a new gas boiler fitted with a direct cylinder? Surely this would have been changed as well?

All inhibitors I have dealt with are non toxic. So just run the water off for a long time.

Worth checking the bottle though.

Sponsored Links
He got it done on a government sceem so all they wonted to do was swop the boiler gessing they get a set price to do it

As far as I am aware any new boiler should include a full upgrade of all components to meet the latest Building Regs, which by the sound of it in your granddad's case would include a new tank and controls to meet current efficiency regs.

However I'm not an expert in these matters so hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm or shoot me down in flames.

It would also be worth investigating how he got the boiler for free and how it came to be such a cock-up. Presumably he doesn't have any working heating at present? In fact, is anything working?

He dose have heating but just no hot water. The last plumb that came said it needs a new cylinder or at least an air omiten valve

Sorry im not up to regs with this sort of thing. So with the new regs
Can you not still have a direct cylinder then.

I think - and others will correct me if I'm wrong - that when a new boiler is installed all the associated equipment should be upgraded to the latest standards. This would mean a tank insulated to meet latest regs, plus controls such as cylinder stat, room stat etc.

You will need to take advice from a professional to confirm this but it does sound to me like your installation has been done on the cheap and would not conform to these standards.

If anyone can shed some light on this. As I feel he has bin taken advantage here was ment to be his 89th birthday treat. I have had a look at the cylinder and im abit confused my self now. You have a cold feed at the bottom from the header tank then there is a pipe coming out of the top but then there is two more pipe coming out of the top that have two screw vents that I presume go to the boiler. The plumber on Saturday didnt know wwhat they were for and didnt see the vents on them l. He is the one that said it was an direct cylinder. There are also lower down on the cylinder two out Out lets one half way down one near the bottom. But they are blanked off.

It sounds like a direct cylinder which has had a "hot rod" installed so alls good no inhibitor in hw a pic may help

Yer after look at it properly to night its just after speaking to the one over the phone on Saturday and what he said got me thinking I know its around 30 years old I have a picture but cant seem to up load it from my album iv mayed on here. Just the way they decided it as the cylinder was full of are and not the return pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back