Inherited AAV!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

refitting our en-suite and found an AAV "hidden" in the fitted units. As you can see in the picture, it's fitted pretty low. My question is, can I leave it alone or would you recommend extending the pipe upwards and boxing it in? Given that we've been in the house for 9 years and have experienced no issues with the AAV, what are the implications, if any, of leaving it in its current position.

Secondly, I've tried to disassemble the fittings with the 40mm pipe going into it. I need to lower that as it's not really low enough to accommodate the new shower and trap and I need to ensure that the shower will drain adequately (this pipe served a bath previously but the outlet from the new shower trap is lower). With the possible exception of where the 40mm pipe fits into the "stack" would you expect these fittings to be push fit as I can't seem to budge them and don't want to damage anything. I have the plasterer coming on Monday and can't afford to create work for myself that will delay him - lol

Here's a pic showing AAV just above floor level (flooring currently removed).

P9110635 by steved5660, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
As long as the AAV is working properly and not sticking open, when it may let unwanted odours into the room, then no reason it should be moved. If being boxed in, the boxing will require air holes.
All the fittings could either be solvent weld or push fit/compression. If the connections are a tight fit, like the ones going into the stack, then they are solvent weld. Browse for push fit fittings, you will see the difference and be able to compare with what you have.

These are solvent weld fittings, you will not beable to remove them, they will have to be cut out.

As said, those are solvent welded fittings, there is no prospect of them coming apart, if anything needs to be altered then you'll have to cut it out and replace. AAV should be fitted above spillover level of the highest appliance (basin?) so is probably too low, but I wouldnt change it now just because of that. (If it works, dont fix it!)

My main concern though, would be should the AAV be glued in and it fail in the future it could be extremely difficult to replace.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
....ESP if it was boxed in....

Can it not be extended up, maybe into a roof space?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back