Inhibitor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with the TRVs not working. I called a company a few months ago who employ heating engineers (who I'd used before). They said they could replace the TRVs and drain the system and that should solve the problem. They also said that in case the people who originally installed the system hadn't added an inhibitor, they would add one.

Fast forward three months. All radiators working fine except for one in the bedroom which is cold most of the time. Same gas engineer from same company came out and balanced the rads. He also noticed that return valve on rad in bedroom was turned right down, so opened it up a bit. (This may have been done by an engineer from a previous visit). Then he casually mentioned that there may have been sludge in the system, which is always made worse when any work is done ie. system drained and no inhibitor added. I asked him why an inhibitor hadn't been added when the company said that they would add one. He said that he was never told to add one.

Should engineer have added an inhibitor - surely this is part of the service when draining a system and charging the earth for it?

:mad:

Sponsored Links
It is good practice and it should ideally have been done.

But in reality it makes very little difference on an existing sealed system.

Its probably much more important to use the right cleanser, flush out and add inhibitor when the rads are first fitted.

What they should NOT have done is invoiced you for something they did not supply.

Simple enough to ask them to come and add it if it bothers you. make sure its a proper branded product from fernox, sentinel or kamco.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back