inhibitors with plastic pipes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gutten Morgen!! (or something)

I am almost ready to fill my new system which is fitted with hep20 barrier pipe and fittings. I want to put the right additives in. I have been down to local plumb store and bought sentinel x100, however it doesnt state if it can be used with plastic. The guy in the store said that they havnt been told not to use it with plastic so should be ok. I thought id double check here. Also, it doesnt state if it has antifreez. So,

1 Is sentinel x100 ok to use with plastic pipes

2 Should I also add seperate anti-freez. (suspended, ventilated timber lower floor) and if so which one?

Many thanks

Pippo

Sponsored Links
Inhibitor is safe to use with modern plastic piping. Does any of your piping run externally??!! if not and there is no other good reason to add antifreeze....don't.

Is there not X500 which has antifreeze built in. The main thing with inhibitor is the correct amount of inhibitor to volume of water.

;)

Hi, thanks for the replies.

No pipes run externally so i wont use anti-freex then. The x100 dose states that the 1 litre bottle does a typical heating system, ie 9-32kw boiler, hot water cylinder and up to ten radiator panels. Overdosing does not present a problem.

I have a worcester 28i junior, no cylinder, 6 double panel double convector rads and a towel radiator and obviously plastic pipes.

Should i just horse a bottle in, fill it up and jump behind the couch ?

pippo

Sponsored Links
Yeh go for it......just make sure your hard hat fits and your insurance is up to date..... :LOL:

You won't have any issues i am sure

Slowly fill it without inhibitor. Run the boiler and flush while still hot if there has been any soldering anywhere (but boiler off!). Check for leaks... maybe even leave a few hours... then drain enough to add X100 to highest rad.

This way you don't have to drain in a rush due to leak and lose your X100.

If you've laid all the pipework and some is in a suspended timber floor, surely you've taken the time to insulate it??? If so, you won't need antifreeze. Never heard of any issues with using X100 with plastics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back