Inline Extractor Fan with Directional PIR ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After reading too much about fans, I've come to the conclusion that ideally, I would want an inline fan in the ceiling that comes on when someone walks in a certain part of the room (enters the shower cubicle). Is such a thing possible? Maybe I'd just need to tape up part of the PIR sensor although not sure if that would pass the wife's aesthetic test !

Could anyone recommend a good inline fan and suitable PIR?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I would want an inline fan in the ceiling that comes on when someone walks in a certain part of the room (enters the shower cubicle).
But what if they haven't gone into the cubicle to have a shower?

Would you want the fan to come on then?

Why not have it triggered by actual use of the shower?

A thermstat that closes on rise of temperature set at about 40 deg C on the hot supply pipe to the shower will switch the fan on when the shower is used. It also keeps the fan running after the shower is turned off until the water in the supply pipe cools down.

With due care about electrical safety one of these has been used.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Pr...TANCOR/Stancor_Industrial-Control_9286056.pdf

I think for a DIY project a tank thermostat with a change over contact will do the job.

Sponsored Links
A thermstat that closes on rise of temperature set at about 40 deg C on the hot supply pipe to the shower will switch the fan on when the shower is used. It also keeps the fan running after the shower is turned off until the water in the supply pipe cools down.
Assuming it's a mixer shower, and not an electric one... ;)

Otherwise a good idea - easier to install than a flow switch, particularly if retrofitting.

If it is an electric shower, the fan could be triggered by the isolation switch, or a flow switch in the cold supply.

With due care about electrical safety one of these has been used.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Pr...tancor_Industrial-Control_9286056.pdf[/QUOTE]
Presumably you can get thermostats designed to attach to pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back