Inset bath problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

We've got a shower over the bath which we can't use because the water collects around the edge of the bath (see photos) as the installer didn't think. Getting him back to redo the work isn't an option. We've not used it for over 2 years as I keep putting it off but we could do with another shower now so I need to pull my finger out.

I was thinking about angling some sort of pvc around the bath for the water to fall into it but im really not sure.
20201203-205139.jpg

20201203-205149.jpg

qrf3q10

Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
That’s not a good design, before I even finished reading the post I thought of the angled PVC could be a cheap easy temporary fix.

Sponsored Links
May have some left in the garage somewhere whats your thoughts?
If Freddie is thinking the same as me then I would cut some tile strips & build the top up to level with the top of the bath using silicon to stick the strips. In other words fill in the trough around the bath.

If Freddie is thinking the same as me then I would cut some tile strips & build the top up to level with the top of the bath using silicon to stick the strips. In other words fill in the trough around the bath.
Yes, in principle the same though perhaps fill the trough under the tile with some strips of aquapanel or similar.

20201204_090520.jpg

Take the bath out and have it fitted correctly.

Anything else is a bodge and will come back to bite you once you realise there is a leak under the bath causing further damage.

Andy

can you get more tiles.
i’d build a false box up to the lowest grout line around the two walls and tile it in seamlessly. which will give the correct seal around the bath and a wipeable ledge to catch the water.
ditch the screen and fit a curtain.
if you get the same tiles and chrome trim itll look like it’s meant to be there.

or rip it out and start again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you want to retrofit a solution and not remove any of the existing installation, I'd do similar as already suggested with one thing added.

1. Apply flexible waterproof sealer tape to the well area around the bath. This provides an extra layer of protection should any water get through the rest of your remedial work.
2. Build up the well area with suitable material, leaving sufficient space at the top to accommodate tiles and adhesive. Ensure the filler material you use (to fill the gap) will take the tile adhesive. If not, ensure it's sealed so adhesive will stick.
3. Apply tile adhesive & tiles. Ensure tiles are slightly angled towards the bath to encourage water runoff in that direction and to minimise pooling. If you don't have enough of the exact tiles left and can't source them, consider going with a contrast in the same colour palette as 'getting close' colour wise can look pants.
4. Apply waterproof grout and silicon sealant.
5. I'd say the current shower screen can probably be left in-situ, although removed during works. At the open end of the well, finish with an end cap fashioned from the tile you've used or other appropriate filler cap.

Job done. I'd only do the back and sides, leave the front as is, doesn't matter if some water splashes there, just wipe along that surface after you shower :)

Im with Andy on this... Take it out.
Would a 1800mm bath fit?
Unless you have access Id put them taps at one of the ends as if they go wrong the bath will be coming out again.
The same goes for the pop up waste if thats the tap side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back