Inspection and Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need some legal clarification...

Part P covers installations, so you pay your money, have an assessment, join and are able to self certify your work and basically miss out the Local authority building inspector. Quite clear to me.

With Test and inspection (periodics) Part P doesn't cover this, found out that you have to make another application and fee to get this. So what's the deal, are you just paying them extra so you can use their fancy forms ?

If you are part P registered can you go round and carry out periodics and use your own forms to give to the customer, as I'm not aware that the local authority requires them like installation ones?

Anyone Know?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware, there is no legal requirement for periodic inspection and testing - it is simply recommended by BS7671. If you want a PIR then that has nothing to do with building control, that is simply an arrangement between you and whoever will provide one. I believe (someome please correct me if I'm wrong) that the process of registration in a self-certifying scheme (being part P registered as you put it) involves an assessment of competence. Therefore someone who is registered will be competent/qualified to do the inspection and sign the PIR. However of course that does not mean that someone who is not registered, is not.

Anyone can do a PIR on a generic PIR form. If however you want to do a PIR on a form that says you are registered with the NICEIC then your registration with them will have to allow you to do that.

Yep that's what I thought. It's down to the fact that you pay for the use of their forms. I spose it is a way of showing a customer than you are competant.

Sponsored Links
Oh forgot to ask. anyone know how to get the DNO out, been waiting 2 weeks for them to come and sort out a Ze of 20ohms (TN-S). Keep phoning but no luck, initially they said within 24 hrs!!!

If you have trouble getting a good response from phoning the Hell Desk in Mumbai, I always recommend sending a short and businesslike letter to the address on the bill. It will be tracked and passed along until it reaches someone who can help. Letters can't easily be fobbed off or ignored like phone calls can, as the companies have proceses to avoid losing them.

If you are carrying out PIRs it's a good idea to have Professional Indemnity insurance - this a requirement if you belong to any trade body part p or not.

On the question of DNO did ring their emergency number 9/10 times this works with EDF but I know powergen and SE can be troublesome.

Also I was told by a fitter from Seimens Metering that they now do all the incomers on domestic premises

The insurance is a good idea. DNO is EDF, there seemed pretty good on the phone, but it's getting them out (at a mutual time). Not sure why they are not too bothered about a Ze that high.

The insurance is a good idea. DNO is EDF, there seemed pretty good on the phone, but it's getting them out (at a mutual time). Not sure why they are not too bothered about a Ze that high.

Is this an existing property, if so is there anyone living there?
I hope you have fitted a temporary RCD to ensure disconnection in the event of an earth fault.

Sarah

Yep, people living there... It's at my house!! funny how you tend to forget the things closest to you!!!

Nope, I rang them on a Monday(9am) and told them I would be in Mon, Tue and Wed. I was house bound for all three days..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back