Inspection of Juntion Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently installing the upstairs lighting circuit for my house extension. Each room has it's own junction box for the swtich and load, all of which are located on the roof trusses above the hallway. My question is, do I need to provide any sort of inspection hatch(es) for these junction boxes? The roof slopes at a very low angle so there's no chance of getting to the junction boxes from above, so once the ceiling plasterboard goes on, that is it.

Sponsored Links
Inspection hole would look cack, better spending a little more on cable so junction boxes end up in a more accessible place.
Sounds like a bad design, you would have been better wiring in a conventional loop in, loop out design or looping in and out of switches.

The Regs are clear that all junction boxes be accessible for future inspection.

If you don't want to make them accessible, the Regs allow such connections to be crimped or soldered or set in compound.

But think carefully before you make any connections inaccessible. Electro-mechanical stresses and environmental changes can cause all kinds of things to happen. On PIRs, almost every screw can be turned a tad as it has loosened over the years. So imagine in a few years if a fault develops.

With new installations, make all connections at accessories if you can. Do not use junction boxes etc. however tempting unless you have no option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back