Instal new dry ridge or replace whole roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to replace our mortar roof ridge with a dry ridge, which is just under 9m in length (one single horizontal ridge only). Current ridge is leaking again due toortar breaking away.

Been quoted prices from £800 - £1300 depending on if we want to replace the top row roof tiles either side as well.

Does this seem reasonable or a bit pricey?

Also, what else should we ask them to include as part of the work? Was going to ask if they could replace the ridge flashing at same time as original flashing is very old. Anything else worth asking or insisting on?

The roof is 40 years old on a detached house. Just wondering if now is the time to get the whole roof done to save a bit on 2 extra jobs, or is it reasonable to expect the rest of the roof to last OK for at least another 10 years? And possibly then incorporate the new dry ridge as part of any future work on getting the rest of the roof done.

Some of the boards within the loft have started to bend and come loose as well although not sure if that really matters in terms of the roofs' effectiveness.

Attached some photos.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201028_215142.jpg
    20201028_215142.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 20201028_215245.jpg
    20201028_215245.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 20201028_215230.jpg
    20201028_215230.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links
Until you attempt to remove the first ridge who knows what you're up against
I've assumed I would be reusing the old tiles before and it come back to bite me
You have an attempted dry verge conversion so it might be an easy option
Your ridgeline is starting to look like a patchwork quilt so it needs attention
Regarding price the tiler would have to remove tiles install ridge brackets then battens and this could mean cutting the entire top courses head off.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back