Installed Tado and radiators are not turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if anyone shed some light regarding this but I have followed all the instructions with Tado and managed to install it.

But something weird is going on, the radiators at one zone is not turning off, they are constantly on.

Here is the setup:
1. Danfoss TP9000 inside boiler room next to boiler (controls ground floor heating)
2. Danfoss TP5000 In master bedroom (controls first floor heating)
3. Danfoss TS2 (temperature monitor for ground floor)

After the Tados setup it is now:
1. Tado extension inside boiler room
2. Tado smart thermostat replace TP5000
3. Tado smart thermostat (Wireless) replace TS2

Ground floor is working absolutely fine. So that means the wireless thermostat + Extension is working.

Its just the upper floor heating that is constantly on. When I set the temperature at 20 Degrees, Radiators are still on full blast even when the thermostat reads 23+ Degrees.

Suspect problem:
Not sure if this is the problem, I uploaded the wiring when it was still in TP5000 there are two wires one into COM and one into N/O.

N/C was not attached but there is a white wire hidden in the wall with the tip not yet cut.
When installing Tado, I only placed COM and N/O into the smart thermo stat and left the white wire in the wall where it was before.

Should I strip the wire and stick it into the N/O compartment?

I also attached an image of the TP9000 wiring, it has a white wire going into N. Please let me know if you need images of the current Tado wiring.

If anyone can help that would be great!

Attachments

• TP5000.jpg
    TP5000.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 390
  • TP9000.jpg
    TP9000.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 474
  • Tado Extension.jpg
    Tado Extension.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 424
  • Tado Thermostat.jpg
    Tado Thermostat.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 5,656
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Photo of tado wiring would help...
Sorry about that i have uploaded the images. As you can see there is a white wire tucked inside the wall from previous installation not sure if I should plug that into Tado as it wasn't plugged in the TP5000 before.

The TP5000 is just a switch. 'Com' is in the input and 'NO' (normally open) is the output.

When heating is required, internally the thermostat connects the brown and black wires together, and separates them when it's not.

The Tado is exactly the same. So if you have not changed the wiring for the upstairs heating anywhere else it would appear that there is a problem with the Tado and its internal switch is remaining in the closed, (on) position.

'NC' is only used in rare circumstances with specific heating systems. If you system didn't have a connection to 'NC' before, it won't need one now and you could be creating a dangerous situation or cause damage connecting the white wire if you don't know where the other end is, or if it is connected to a neutral at the other end as you suspect.

As a simple test, try operating the heating with the first floor Tado thermostat removed from its backplate. Does the first floor heating come on now? If yes there is a wiring fault somewhere. If it doesn't come on the problem is with the Tado.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The TP5000 is just a switch. 'Com' is in the input and 'NO' (normally open) is the output.

When heating is required, internally the thermostat connects the brown and black wires together, and separates them when it's not.

The Tado is exactly the same. So if you have not changed the wiring for the upstairs heating anywhere else it would appear that there is a problem with the Tado and its internal switch is remaining in the closed, (on) position.

'NC' is only used in rare circumstances with specific heating systems. If you system didn't have a connection to 'NC' before, it won't need one now and you could be creating a dangerous situation or cause damage connecting the white wire if you don't know where the other end is, or if it is connected to a neutral at the other end as you suspect.

As a simple test, try operating the heating with the first floor Tado thermostat removed from its backplate. Does the first floor heating come on now? If yes there is a wiring fault somewhere. If it doesn't come on the problem is with the Tado.

Thanks for the reply! I did what you suggested and it is indeed a Tado fault. Called them up and they said they “changed drivers” and now it’s working!

Not sure what they did remotely to make it work though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back