Installing 2 dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have bought 2 chrome dimmer switches & want to replace the standard light switches. When i unscrewed the switches, the wire colours are red, blue, yellow & the earth wire.
red goes into L1, blue into L2 & yellow into L3. Earth to switch.
My dimmer switch has only L1, L2 ,common & earth.
Have i bought the worng switches or can i use them to replace the ones that i have.

Sponsored Links
It is a direct swop, but instead of saying L1, L2 & L3 it has Common then L1 & L2.
I.e. Red in Common, yellow & blue in L1 & L2.

yes they are at both ends of the room, controlling the lights. If you switch on using one of the switches, the other can turn off & visa versa.

Sponsored Links
if red goes in common, what shall i put in L2, blue or yellow? does it matter which way round?

Sounds like you have got normal dimmer switches, you can only use one of these at one end of the room and a normal switch at the other end. The wiring as luminaire says above.

You can't use two standard dimmers to control one light.

You can use one of the dimmers, and leave the other switch as a standard switch, either that or return both of your switches and purchase a master and slave pair of dimmers clicky

If you want to just use one of your dimmers then connect it with red in common, yellow in L1 and blue in L2. (but it doesn't really matter which way round yellow and blue go)

ok, thanks for letting me know guys, much appreciated!!!!
Just one final question. you told me to put yellow into L1 using the dimmer. The other switch has yellow in L2, does it make a difference or will it be ok to put yellow in L1 in dimmer & yellow in L2 in other switch??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back