Installing 8kw Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to buy an 8kw cooker, I assume I can just take my old one out and wire the new one in its place?

The old one is just wired into a cooker switch in the wall, I just take the wire out of the cooker and connect it to the new one?

Cheers,

Mick

Sponsored Links
Yes you can provided the circuit is rated accordingly.
Assumption you have cooker control switch with socket which will give approximately 23 Amps after diversity.
The circuit cable is a minimum of T&E 6mm2 and the circuit is protected by at least 32Amp MCB and preferably an RCD - not necessarily a requiremnt.

There is a cooker control switch in the wall, is it safe to assume that it will be 23A or can I find out? Whats diversity?

Is it safe to assume the old cable is ok or should I replace it?

I dont think the consumer unit has MCB's or RCD's, its pretty old and will get someone to change one day. Will it just be fuses? If I just find the biggest one will it be the cooker?

I have no idea about electrics so please tell me if I am completely wrong.

Is it safe to assume the old cable is ok or should I replace it?
To be honest it probably will be.
It and the circuit should, nevertheless, be tested.
I dont think the consumer unit has MCB's or RCD's, its pretty old and will get someone to change one day. Will it just be fuses? If I just find the biggest one will it be the cooker?
It should be labelled. Is it written on the inside of the cover?
I have no idea about electrics so please tell me if I am completely wrong.
How will you know if you have done it correctly?

Sponsored Links
Very unusual to have the connections behind a riveted plate. If it is you will need to carefully drill out the rivets trying to avoid any wires behind.
Is there no existing cable connected ?

Change of plan. Im just going to turn off the power and cut the cable.
You should turn of the power and remove the cable from the cooker switch until you have the replacement cooker and replacement cable - some cookers come with their own cable now.

Disconnected from the cooker control unit then I ripped the rivetted plate off and disconnected from the cooker.

Cooker didnt come with cable so used the old one. Just cooked beef stir fry and didnt die so it must be ok!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back