Installing a ceiling light fitting, Help! Stumped by wires!

Sponsored Links
Is there a cpc (bare copper earth wire) within that twin cable?

Without it, you cannot fit a Class I fitting (Class I = requiring an earth connection).
And even if there is I wouldn't advise fitting a Class I light, not without getting the earth continuity checked first - the sort of tw@ who would cut the cpc back is the sort of tw@ who could have done all kinds of other bodges...

Sponsored Links
The copper wire feels like rubber, but there is no bare copper wire within the twin, there is just the red and black. Here are some more pics of the wires, plus 2 of the old rose and the new fitting.(the 3 wires red,black,copper just went into the old rose)

That is a batten lampholder with a spare terminal to park loop conductors. You have no earth wire.

Do not install that fitting without either rewiring or (at a pinch installing a separate cpc (there are strict rules about this, though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back